Home » 4 Ways To Stay Motivated To Stick To A Diet

4 Ways To Stay Motivated To Stick To A Diet

  • by

The biggest enemy of any diet is boredom. People lose their motivation to stick to a diet and so they begin to cheat here and there. Before you know it, your diet is basically done with and you are back at square one. Sound familiar’ So, the key too sticking to a diet is to keep up the initial motivation that you have when you first start the diet. With this in mind, let’s discuss 4 tips that will keep you motivated for the entire diet.

Realize You Don’t Have to Be Perfect

A big problem people have is that the moment that they deviate from their diet, they feel like they’ve lost all their progress and that there’s no point in continuing with the diet. This is what people call a perfectionist mindset and it can be very difficult to overcome. If you’re one of the many people who have this mindset, then you need to get it into your head that the occasional mistake doesn’t set you back to square one. Just because you went out and overindulged one night doesn’t mean that you should give up on a diet.

I coach my clients to focus on the 80/20 rule. Out of your week if 80% of your meals are healthy and clean don’t sweat the other 20%. This is the main key of moderation. When we cut out the fun foods, the struggle becomes real!

With the 80/20 rule it helps you to blend in fun foods vs banning the outright. Say you love French fries, every time you go out and you gotta have French fries, but instead you tell yourself you are on a diet, so you have a salad instead. But those fries are on your brain.

What if instead you ordered the fries and didn’t have the bun on the burger or maybe you ordered the fries and didn’t dessert or a glass of wine. Do you see what I’m doing’ I’m making trades so that I can have the fries AND have clean food choices.

Make Sure That You Regularly Reward Yourself

Ideally, the knowledge that you’re becoming healthier would be motivation in of itself. But, that’s just not the case. So, from time to time you need to make sure that you’re rewarding yourself. It will give you something to look forward to, which will help with motivation, especially in rough patches. As for what the reward is, that’s entirely up to you.

I encourage my clients to have at least 2 treat meals/week. This could be a scheduled date night with your sweetie or movie nights with the kiddos, but it’s a meal where you have your fun foods. With that said, this isn’t the lose my shit at night. You will eat normal portions without the guilt. What are some of your favorite treat meals’

Set Realistic Goals

This is the crux of my REPS Formula . For the past 15 years I’ve seen so many women struggle with their goals because they reach for the stars and then get frustrated when the results aren’t coming as fast as they want them to.

When you are setting goals I ask my clients to work through their REPS
Your goal is it REALISTIC’ For example, it’s not realistic to lose 30 pounds in 30 days despite what you’ve read on Facebook 12 Something more realistic would be to focus on losing 1 pound a week.
Are you EXCITED about your goal’ In order to reach your goals do you need give up your fun foods’ Do you need to spend hours at the gym’ If that doesn’t excite you then you will not stick with it long term.
Can you make a PLAN for it in your life’ Can you make this work in your current lifestyle without a lot of gymnastics’
Lastly is your goals SUSTAINABLE for the long term’ Can you see yourself doing this for the next 30 day, 1 year or 5 years’

If this interests you, take a listen to this podcast where I go into greater detail.

Don’t Weigh Regularly

I get it. You want to lose the weight and you want to lose the weight right fucking now!! Repeat after me this is a long-term goal! You will need to pack your patience. You will see basically no progress when you first start. A lot of people make the mistake of weighing daily. This will kill your motivation because you’re going to have days and weeks where the scale barely moves if it moves at all. Weigh once at the start of the diet to set a baseline, then don’t weigh for at least a month, if not longer.

There are so many factors that go into your scale weight.
Many you haven’t pooped, you drank a lot of water, ate a lot of salt, you are getting your period. So instead of just using the scale, find some other non-scale victories.

Think physical
Less heartburn
Increased sleep Less pain
You get sick less often
Increased mood
Less cravings

What’s a non-scale victory that would work for you’

5 Days Effortless Weight loss.My signature weight loss mini course that teaches you the 4 disciple changers that will leave you feeling better, stronger and more confident. This time you’re guaranteed not to fail. 



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.