Today we’re talking about summer my favorite season! And NOO it is not a little too early to be talking about summer ladies!! Let me ask you, what is your first thought when it comes to summer? Is it oh…? I have to lose weight! Then followed by … “If I do this juice cleanse for 9 days, I am going to look fabulous”! Here is the thing though, this isn’t how it works! ESPECIALLY if you are a Debbie Dieter who has been dieting for YEARS, then, in that case, your body is going to give you the MIDDLE FINGER! So instead… Let’s take a big step back and really think about, what does it really mean to get your body ready for summer??
- Want To Lose Weight? Manage Your Stress | 0527
- How To Have A Stress Free Summer| 148
- Sleeping the 1st big rock
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Weight | 147
- Are you ready to break up with your diet mindset? |146
- The 4 Steps To Consistency Over 40 | 0506
- 5 tips to get ready for summer over 40| 145
- Consistency Is King Over 40 | 0429
- Why you need mobility and strength| 144
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet | 0422
- Why Are You Really Dieting? | 143
- You Can't Do It On Your Own| 0415
- How To Stop Letting Self Doubt Hold You Back|142
- Stop Trying to Be 30 | 141
- Stop Trying To Be 30 | 5
- The 4 Ms Method | 0327
- The Power of Movement | 0324
- How Exercise Effects Your Metabolism| 0327
- Katie Veazie Strength Training Builds Confidence | 140
- Are You Working Out Too Much? | 4
- Is Self Care Bull Sh*t? | 139
- You don't have to spend hours in the gym to see results! | 2
- Creating A Sustainable Healthy Life Over 40 | 138
- I Must Workout Hard To Get Results
- Workouts Don't Need To Crush You Kim| 137
- Why Do I Feel So Behind
- The Secrets To Getting Better Results With A Coach| 136
- Client Testimonial: The Power of Mindset| 135
- The Power Of A Flexible Metabolism| 134
- How to make exercise a habit Kim | 133
- How To Reset Your Wellness| 132
- Client Testimonial: How To Trust Your Journey| 131
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Can’t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and What To Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
The term, “getting summer ready” doesn’t always necessarily mean losing weight, it could just mean that by the time summer rolls around, you may want to reduce your weight a little to feel more comfortable and confident in those dresses and shorts.
Summer is another time to come to Jesus and say, what does my time look like? What does my food look like? For some people that is a time where there is more food and maybe even more alcohol. AND MAYBE exercise goes down because of traveling a lot more. You just want to feel comfortable in what we are wearing, show a little more skin and just feel good! Am I right??
So.. let’s dive into the 5 MISTAKES that seem to trip people up when it comes to getting “summer ready” and I have some super helpful steps for you to take to avoid those mistakes!
One: Not starting early enough.
You can’t always be sprinting to the finish line. And what I see ALL the time is that you don’t give yourself enough time to get to where you want to be. Not sure who needs to hear this but our bodies ARE NOT Amazon Prime. You are not alone if you think that if you don’t see a change happen by Tuesday, you’re PISSED!
LADIES! It takes 90 days to see a visible difference and for people to sit up and notice! In the first month, maybe your face gets a little slimmer, and maybe your belly gets a little smaller. By the second month, your friends and family start to notice. And by the third month, the whole neighborhood noticed that you have lost weight. I want you to think about giving yourself this nice big timeline so it’s not a struggle, it’s not a sufferfest. Instead of reducing everything, I am going to start looking at what can I add? Can I add more vegetables? What CAN I DO? What is happening right now? When clients first come to me the thing I notice the most is that they aren’t eating enough vegetables.. (so, this is a huge one to add! Green vegetables, fibrous, staying power!)
Then, create a workout schedule you can ACTUALLY stick with! Come up with a schedule that feels doable for you. Put it on the calendar and treat it like an appointment; you can’t break it. And I highly recommend using the Good, Better, Best method with your workout days. What is a good option, better or the best? For me, a good week is 3 workout days, better is 4 days, best is 5 and I have to learn to be okay with that if something comes up and I cannot do all 5 days. Learn to honor the season that you are in right now. Workouts are purposeful! (Check out this podcastpodcasthttps://www.kimbarnesjefferson.com/what-is-the-perfect-workout-plan-for-women-over-40/
Two: We don’t track our progress.
What gets done gets measured. So many women blindly go into weight loss. But what you need to do is really get into a workout that is going to work for YOU! Not Suzy next door. Track your progress so you know what is going on. So many people don’t know what they are eating or how they are working out or what they are doing in the gym.
So…. Write it down!! If you are looking at a change, you have to know what is going on.
If you don’t track, how do you know what you are doing? What gets measured gets managed. This goes for workouts too. How many times do I go to the gym? What am I doing at the gym? Write it all down, at least for a little while so you can get into the swing of things and adjust as you see accordingly.
Three: Not having a plan.
Okay, this is not hard. Let’s make it really simple for us! There are ONLY 2 parts of a plan.
1) Does the plan fit into my life? It has to fit into your life!!!! Are you ok with 3 days a week? Or can you figure out how to workout at home if you can’t go to the gym?
2) Does it fit into the season of your life? What is going on this season or the next? We all have those seasons in our life where things are just a little out of control that we have to learn to bring back our assumptions.
Also, ladies… You have to ACTUALLY be excited for the plan! It also has to work for your life and be sustainable. This is what I call my REPS formula and all my ladies go through it!
1) Is it Realistic?
2) Are you Excited for it?
3) Can you Plan for your life?
4) Is it Sustainable for more than 30 days?
When you work in a short-term way, I am trying to set you up for success. I don’t work with anyone for less than 12 weeks. Can you repeat that 12 week cycle or I know how to tweak it based on what is going on in my life?
Four: Not pacing yourself.
Rome wasn’t built overnight. Your body is not built in a day! It’s built habit by habit, routine by routine, consistency by consistency. That is where we are going to make the changes! And I know that is not sexy…. But how long have you really been working on your own weight loss; a little more time isn’t going to hurt. Because though it may have taken a little longer than you wished for, what you have now is sustainable!!! You can’t beat your body into submission. You have to try and find our own pace.
Pick our pace and make peace with it. What is going on in your current life and if I look ahead can I plan. Pace yourself like a marathon. Not like a sprint!!
Five: Focusing on the wrong things.
This is what I like to call, “majoring in the minors!” Imagine we have a glass cylinder, and we fill it with big rocks. It starts to get fuller. Then we put small pebbles and it starts to get even fuller. Then we add water, and it fills our container! When we put in the big rocks it fills our container right up, those are called our BIG DIAL MOVERS. So, I want to focus on THOSE big rocks!
Big rocks are nutrition. 80% of our nutrition should be healthy – quality food. Anything that can grow, you pluck it, it swims and runs on the ground is good to go!
Next big rock, exercise. I would like to see at minimum, 2 days of strength training. As women over 40 we are fighting the natural progression our muscles start to disintegrate. We want to make sure by the time we are 80 we can pick up a gallon of milk or get off the toilet without assistance.
Next rock is sleep. I want to make sure you are sleeping. At least 7 hours of sleep!! And for many of you it’s a challenge. I GET THAT. What does your bedtime routine look like? Do you have revenge at bedtime? Let’s talk about that and get you on the right track to a better night’s sleep!
The other rock is stress! Many of us are stressed to the max!! We are running like crazy, worried about finding the perfect food and perfect this or that. There is no perfect. Perfect ain’t coming! That is why I say the good, better, best to help break me from perfection.
MINDSET is ALSO a boulder! Working on that mindset of letting go of the comparison of what you could do in your 20’s and 30’s. Letting go of the comparison of what Sally and Jimmy can do and focus on what you can do! What can you be consistent with?? It’s not about what we can do ALLL the time. Start to say, what are the areas that need a little more work?
Now this.. This is a little added bonus number. Self-care! Self-care Isn’t about manis and pedis. For me it is a nice walk – unplug time. Alone listening to a podcast without distractions. Spend time with people who make you happy! Read a good book. Create a DONE list! All amazing forms of self-care that your mind and body will thank you for.
These are the 5 things that seem to be keeping people from hitting their goals this summer! We start focusing on the wrong things. If you aren’t seeing visible results, we have to look at something. If you are doing the same thing and we aren’t getting results, we have to look at, is your process broken? Your diet should be the main focus of your efforts, 80% of your results are going to come from your nutrition. Cleaning up your diet!
● Eating too much processed food?
● Eating too much sugar?
● Not enough vegetables?
● Not enough protein?
● Not Enough water daily?
● Focus on what you can add.
These 5 mistakes can slow down your progress and that is what makes so many of you quit. You put in all this effort and don’t see any results on the back side. Right?? There are unintentional errors that will keep tripping you up.
If you want to avoid these summer mistakes, focus on what I am talking about! And download my little handout that has all of these 5 things to keep on hand for you to help you focus on them! (Grab that handout HERE) Which ones do you want to focus on first!
Keep this list with you now, start now. Start tracking your process, creating your plan and focusing on things that really move your dial! If you need help, shoot me an email or find me on IG and Facebook and let me help you get started!
What Is The Perfect Workout Plan For Women Over 40 Podcast:
5 Summer Body Tips: