I hear it all the time I have no willpower!! Not sure where this rumor/myth started but a lot of people are under the false impression that willpower is the most important thing you need to lose weight. Don’t get you wrong you need that drive, that hunger to be better than you were yesterday, but I’ll tell you having a healthy mindset is kick ass over anything else. Â When you change the your mindset to drive your new lifestyle you will make better decisions without feeling like youâ€™re depriving yourself. Let’s face it feeling deprived sucks and you’ll go back to your old habits.
There are a lot of aspects to a healthy mindset. Unfortunately most diet plans donâ€™t take time to explain them and why theyâ€™re important, which is one of the main reasons people fail. How many of these apply to you? And if they donâ€™t, what can you do to change that?
- You understand that itâ€™s not just a diet, itâ€™s a lifestyle change. Yes, eye roll, you hear this over and over again. I’m sure you will keep hearing this until it finally drops on your head like a coconut and finally say YES, this is how my life is now. If I make this my lifestyle I will no longer struggle or yo-you diet. Youâ€™re creating habits that youâ€™ll keep with you for the rest of your life. For years we thought after we dropped the weight or inches, we could go right back to your old lifestyle. Well not to be sassy but how did that workout for you in the past. How long before you gained all of that weight back. When you read a diet plan think about if itâ€™s something you can live with for the rest of your life or will you be waiting for that day where you can stop following the rules.
- You know youâ€™re so much more than a number.
Focusing on scale weight will make you bat shit crazy! Stepping on the scale every day is dangerous. A lot of things will have an effect on your weight based on what you eat and how much water you retain, did you poop, are you getting your period. You may get excited to lose two pounds and realize that half of that was water weight when you check the next day and youâ€™re up a pound again.
Instead, focus on your non-scale changes. Get excited about losing an inch or being able to make it a little further in your workout without feeling tired or out of breath. The scale is just a number. It means nothing. Keep your focus on how your life is changing for the better!
- You donâ€™t deny yourself your favorite foods.
Part of living with your new lifestyle is understanding youâ€™re going to crave foods and if you deny those cravings youâ€™re going to binge. Instead, indulge safely. Make lower calorie or healthier versions of the foods you crave or choose a smaller portion to satisfy the craving. I’m a sucker for Pinterest, they have so many AMAZING recipes that will simulate many different food choices or give you great suggestions for healthy food swaps.
- You know that you shouldnâ€™t just eat salads.
I’m going to insert my own eye roll here. When I first started eating healthy so many of my friends and family Â were like so are you going to eat like a rabbit. I’m seriously how healthy can salad be for you. Ummm you are very misinformed. I’ve been eating, clean for over a decade. Let me tell you I eat WAY more than I did when I was “dieting”. A healthy diet needs carbohydrates, protein, and fats. Cutting out all of one isnâ€™t healthy. Itâ€™s about balance. You canâ€™t just eat salad and greek yogurt all day every day. Take time to learn about proper nutrition.
- You understand this isnâ€™t an overnight thing.
As a fitness professional nothing makes me more crazy than when I see this lose 100 pounds in 3 days. Sorry that’s not how it works. To build healthy habits and lose weight and inches TAKES TIME!!! Sadly itâ€™s harder to lose weight than it is to gain it. Plus if you are someone who’s played the yo yo game for a long time, you body is like a stubborn 2 year old and will not give it to you as quickly as someone who has never dieted!!!
- You motivate yourself and reach out for support when you need it.
Losing weight is hard. Itâ€™s also exhausting. You need to keep yourself motivated. Before you start on this journey decide what make will keep you going? You may have to do some trial and error to find what works for you to keep you motivated and excited about your journey. If youâ€™re struggling, donâ€™t be afraid to reach out for support.