I really want to get into MINDSET today because, for so many people, it is this big nebulous thing, this buzzword that can really trip you many women up. I like to think of mindset like an onion. There are so many dang layers to it. So many layers that need to be unpeeled and unpacked to help you get to why you are not getting the results you want or why you aren’t making the changes in your life you want to make! I always hear from women, “I know what to do but I am not doing it, or I am doing it, or what I’m doing is not giving me the results I want.” Many women come to me, and they are confused, frustrated, and downright broken because they have been doing it “right” and still nothing. Still no results. Still, the scale isn’t moving, and their body isn’t changing. And they are SOOOO ready to just give up. It all comes down to our mindset, so let’s start peeling that mindset onion ladies!
- The secret to weight loss success stop trying to be perfect|184
- 7 Ways To Build Self Discipline|183
- Discover The Secret To Setting Strong Boundaries|182
- How to Handle Adrenal Fatigue| 180
- Are You Ready To Beat Stress and Overwhelm in 2023?| 181
- Are You Making These Weight Loss Mistakes| 179
- How to Fall In Love With Your Over 40 Body| 178
- Do You Need A Health Reset?| 177
- Simple Mindset Tactics That Help You Lose Weight |176
- 3 Reasons Why You Feel Stuck| 175
- Using Math to Overcome Overeating| 174
- How To Avoid Diet Boredom| 173
- How To Evolve Your Fitness Through The Years|172
- Cracking The Belly Fat Code||1104
- Belly Fat Code Overview| 171
- Hallmark Movies and Dieting?: What do they have in Common| 1028
- Are You Ready To Beat Your All Or Nothing Mindset? | 170
- Fat Loss VS Weight Loss: What's The Difference?|021
- How I Improved My Menopause Story| 167
- Hidden Toxins In Our Bodies Mystery Revealed|168
- What Every Women Should Know About Menopause|167
- Menopause Myths Part 2| 0930
- Do You Want To Know More About Macros| 166
- 8 Common Myths About Menopause Part 1
- What Causes Belly Fat In Women Over 40?|
- What Women Over 40 Ought to Know About Protein| 0916
- Are You Ready To Give Up The Busy Badge? |164
- Do you Want to Know About Unexplained Weight |0909
- 3 Reasons to Stop Trying To Do Everything| 163
- Are You Ready To Let Go Of Control? ||0903
- Do You Need To Press LIfe's Pause Button|162
- What exactly is healthy aging? |161
- Powerlifting It's Easy If You Do It Smart||160
- Are You Ready To Survive The Dog Days Of Summer||0812
- Are You Ready To Find The Courage To Change |159
- Three Powerful Tips for Women Over 40 Who Want to Make a Change| 0805
- Do you want to break from diet culture| 158
- 6 Nutritional Myths That Must Die| 0729
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It Show |156
- 3 Simple Steps to Becoming More Consistent, Over 40|011
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It| 156
- Fitness Lessons I've Learned Over the Years
- How To Avoid The Shame Spiral and Make Peace With Your Body| 155
- What To Do When You Fall Off The Diet Wagon|0708
- 6 Steps To Making A Change In Your Health| 154
- How Long Does It Take To Get Fit?|0701
- Client Testimonial: Thank you for teaching me balance|153
- Are You Working On Your Mindset| 0624
- Do You Know What Brings You Joy?|152
- How Do You Know What To Eat? |6
- How to focus on the little things and get results| 151
- Why Women Over 40 Need To Strength Train| 5
- You Are Enough| 150
- Stress Free Summer Masterclass
- Making Time for Self-Care (Even if you’re Super-Busy
- What To Do When Your Diet Stops Working| 149
- Want To Lose Weight? Manage Your Stress | 0527
- How To Have A Stress Free Summer| 148
- Sleeping the 1st big rock
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Weight | 147
- Are you ready to break up with your diet mindset? |146
- The 4 Steps To Consistency Over 40 | 0506
- 5 tips to get ready for summer over 40| 145
- Consistency Is King Over 40 | 0429
- Why you need mobility and strength| 144
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet | 0422
- Why Are You Really Dieting? | 143
- You Can't Do It On Your Own| 0415
- How To Stop Letting Self Doubt Hold You Back|142
- Stop Trying to Be 30 | 141
- Stop Trying To Be 30 | 5
- The 4 Ms Method | 0327
- The Power of Movement | 0324
- How Exercise Effects Your Metabolism| 0327
- Katie Veazie Strength Training Builds Confidence | 140
- Are You Working Out Too Much? | 4
- Is Self Care Bull Sh*t? | 139
- You don't have to spend hours in the gym to see results! | 2
- Creating A Sustainable Healthy Life Over 40 | 138
- I Must Workout Hard To Get Results
- Workouts Don't Need To Crush You Kim| 137
- Why Do I Feel So Behind
- The Secrets To Getting Better Results With A Coach| 136
- Client Testimonial: The Power of Mindset| 135
- The Power Of A Flexible Metabolism| 134
- How to make exercise a habit Kim | 133
- How To Reset Your Wellness| 132
- Client Testimonial: How To Trust Your Journey| 131
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Can’t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and What To Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
The diet industry causes us to have a fixed mindset. If you want to go deeper there is a book called Mindset by Carol Dweck. This is the holy grail of mindset books. And in this book, she took the mindset out of the clinical space and brought it into the mainstream space! She describes that there is a growth mindset and a fixed mindset, and I believe the diet industry has caused us to have a fixed mindset!
With a fixed mindset, you believe that things in your life are the way they are, you can lose the weight or not. So many of us feel that if we have failed at a diet, it is clearly me! If someone else has success, it’s because they are lucky, they have better genes than you do… I have been there, I have been caught in that fixed mindset and it wasn’t until I took a deeper dive into my mindset did I realize how fixed my mindset was when it came to diet and exercise.
And I needed to change that.
This podcast came up because I started a new program called Metabolic Recharge and was having a conversation with the members. I love starting new programs because I get a lot of great questions and topics to talk about on the podcast! And this made me start to think about why people are NOT able to move forward. What keeps them in this box. What kept me in that same box? So here are the 4 Mindsets that I truly believe are keeping women stuck.
1) Rigidity: Telling yourself this is the way it has to be in order to get results, these are the rules that I must follow.
2) Resistance: I did this, and it worked, so I should keep going back to this even if it doesn’t’ work in the long term. Resistance to a change.
3) Respect: Not respecting how long the process takes or giving. Not giving yourself boundaries around your time.
4) Release: Giving yourself some grace. Allowing yourself to fail and see it more as a learning that a permanent flaw.
So, let’s dive deeper into each one, shall we!
This is you telling yourself it has to be hard. It is the only way to get results, and this is the way it has to be. I must struggle. I must give up certain foods. There are a lot of rules you have created or feel that you must follow to get your results. These rules also come with a lot of self-imposed structure as well. So… To break free of this…
Ask yourself, what are you trying to achieve? What are you actually chasing? What is that goal? Can you create a range?
These are chronic dieters! Not pointing fingers because I too, was a chronic dieter, so I know what it is like! You tell yourself, this is the way it has to be, all or nothing. Your workouts have to look a certain way, a certain duration, and there has to be a certain amount of exercise in my workouts. You must eat 5 meals a day and I can’t have starch and good fats together! Even though the plans aren’t following isn’t working you feel that since you’ve had success in the past you must continue to follow. Resistance and rigidity are very much linked together.
You are nervous because you know that it worked in the past, but there is no guarantee it is going to work for us in the future! Let’s be honest with each other, here is a REASON why you stopped that diet in the past… Right???? So, find your sweet spot and show up for what’s up. This will mean experimenting with your workouts, nutrition etc.
This summer I am doing a 66-day experiment to help you try several things. You’re your opportunity to change things up, see what happens. Experiment with something new. Give it a shot and if it doesn’t work after 66 days then go back to what you were doing. And I know there may be hesitation but what is it going to hurt? You may become consistent and see changes?? Consistency is boring, I get it. But that is BECAUSE IT WORKS!! Do you have friction? Am I adding more steps that will cause me not to do it?
You need to respect for your body. You need to respect our time. That means you NEED to create boundaries.I know for a lot of women this is a very challenging thing. So, you have to go with our gut. If your gut doesn’t feel right with a nutrition and workout plan, then it may not be for you.
Set my boundaries and say to myself, this is what I am going to stick with. These are my non-negotiables; these are the things health-wise I know I can do day in and day out. Pick non-negotiables that MAKE YOUR LIFE HAPPY! If it slows down your results a little, so be it! If it makes you happy, don’t sweat it! Do you have boundaries around those things so we can get ourselves off that diet hamster wheel?
You need to start to release the rules! Think of ourselves as quality vs duration. Look at the quality of a workout vs the duration of the workout. Remove the friction and you always have a choice. Get into the Good, Better, Best mentality. What is a good outcome for you? What is a better outcome and what is the best outcome for you?
– Example workouts for me:
– A Good week, 3 workouts in a week.
– A Better week, 4 workouts in a week.
– Best week, 5 workouts in a week.
9 times out of 10, I can get 5 workouts in but sometimes life happens, and I can’t get that in in a week. And with this mindset and mentality, I am OKAY WITH THAT! Stop getting caught up in the harder is better and the struggle is real! It doesn’t have to be this way, because this way leads to burnout.
If you’re feeling stuck, go back through and see where you are stuck. Are you feeling like you have to be so rigid you have to follow these rules? Are you resistant to changing things up? Are you not respecting your body, time, and pace you are able to go at this moment in time? Do you need to start to release and let go of some of these things?
How do we go about changing this? Ladies, change is possible. But you have to make peace with our pace people!! In my Stress Free Summer, I have 3 levels, what pace are you going to be able to stick with?
You have to start telling yourself a different story. Stop telling yourself you have to get there fast. The weight didn’t come on fast so it’s not going to come off fast!! What is coming up for you when you hear this? Be open to exploring different things and learning from our mistakes.
Mel Robbins who came up with the 5-second rule. And she says, give yourself 5 seconds to do something. She gave herself 5 seconds to get out of bed to work out and would countdown from 5 to get up. How can you start giving yourself that 5-second rule when we start to make these shifts?
Set smaller goals. So many people want to lose 30 pounds in 30 days, and I say I am not the girl for you! 30 pounds in 90 days, not the girl for you. 30 pounds in 6 months… ok! I am leaning in! I can help you at that pace, because I know that weight is NOT coming back on!. Together we work at a pace that is sustainable and realistic. You learn to work at a pace that you will continue to be excited about and can make a plan for the rest of your life. Here is where you commit to learning. How to go through the motions and fall in love with the process. Because if it sucks you will not want to do it!!
Learn from our failures. I am a reflective coach and I always ask how the week went and my clients and that is when it tends to get really black and white. So, let’s expand and learn from our mistakes. Let’s see how things went and investigate what went well and what didn’t. This is so that you can make modifications. If you keep doing the same crap over and over again, you will get the same results!!! NOTHING will change. Really start thinking about making assessments. Assessing isn’t wallowing. Assessing is looking at what happens when you do certain things. It helps you to make better, more informed decisions about you. Investigate than modify!!
Structured Flexibility. These rules and boxes keep us so contained that it’s really hard to break free from them. That is why I created the non-negotiables and if I can do these 3 things every day I am on the right path! You can learn from your failures once you start to assess, investigate and modify with your structured flexibility and this is where your non-negotiables come in big time with your health and weight. Once you do this, you can start to create these basic templates and shift them based on what is going on in our lives.
This is not about being perfect, because being perfect suckkssss!!! We all have fatal flaws and life will always come out at us. But I absolutely love seeing the mindset shift my clients get while working with me. It is ok to have the hot fudge sundae and say tomorrow is a new day! Do you have a fixed mindset when it comes to diets? And where are you in that fixed mindset?
I have given you the 4 mindsets of a desperate dieter.
1. Rigid. This is how it has to be in order for me to get results.
2. Resistance. Even though it’s not working, you still want to freaking do it.
3. Respect. Respect for where you are. What is your pace, and how much time do you have?
4. Release. Release that it is going to take time. Release that I have to set some boundaries and I have to give myself some breaks.
We all want to have that day… but how do we keep that day from snowballing!? How do we keep that day from just blowing up in our faces? How do we adjust our mindsets to prevent this? To prevent giving up on ourselves. To help us move forward with doing something we love and loving our bodies in return!
Mel Robbins – 5 Second Rule:
Mel Robbins: 5 Second Rule
Mindset: The New Psychology of Success By Carol Dweck
Guilt-Free Summer Fitness Guide: How To Enjoy Summer AND Your fitness goals