I am going there today. I am going there about food AND fitness obsessions. I wanted to talk about this because I know many women have experienced this OR maybe going through it right now, OR you are thinking about if you may have a bit of an obsession with this. It’s ok though… It’s ok to acknowledge that you are in this season of obsession. It’s ok to acknowledge that you had one in the past. It’s ok to acknowledge that you have to make a change. We all have those periods of time when we fall into an obsession and it can happen to anyone.
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Canâ€™t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and WhatÂ ToÂ Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
What do you do if you are in a season of obsession? I have asked a few of my friends to talk about what they have experienced with obsession and what they have done to create a turning point in their life, how they got out of this obsession. But first, before I fill you in on all the amazing information, they have given us, I want to tell you more about the obsessions that I had for years and had to overcome.
I know you have heard me speak a little on this, but I had my obsessions too. Food and working out were those for me. I had to weigh and measured everything I ate. I even went as far as when going to a restaurant, basically telling them how they should make my food. But fortunately, I had a good personality about it, but I have seen people lose their shit over things like this… I thought I was balanced, but now that I look on the other side of it, I see that I wasn’t.
I brought my own food to a lot of places, wherever I was able to bring it. I was so petrified that one false move and I would lose all of my gains.
I feel like I didn’t really come out of the other side of this until about 6 years ago. It broke for me when we went away for a month-long vacation and I realized that I didn’t want to worry about what I was going to eat everywhere; I didn’t want to worry about if I would be able to get a workout in. I didn’t know if I would be able to do any of those, so for me, I just didn’t want to worry about it.
What I did know was…
1. I knew I would get in my steps because we didn’t have a car and we had to walk everywhere.
2. I knew everywhere we went I could get at least a salad to eat with protein on it, so I knew I would have at least 1 really balanced meal per day.
3. I also knew that I would be able to sleep because jet lag kicks my ass. And I would have to sleep!
I decided for shits and giggles to document this experiment while we were away. So, I weighed myself when we left and when we got home. And with only working out maybe 3 times a week and everything else, I had only gained 2 pounds! ONLY 2 pounds WITHOUT freaking out about every single thing. After seeing this, it is when I created my non-negotiables, the minimum things I need to do because LIFE HAPPENS! And we have to learn to give a little!
The thing that I have definitely worked on overcoming was my food and workouts. What I have found is when I do less, my body responds much better! So instead of doing excessive cardio, I focus more on lifting and walking. And I’ve found by far, that this is so much more beneficial for my body and my mind. It reduces inflammation so I feel a million times better, I sleep better, and I don’t have as many cravings.
I know the jump feels scary, especially if you’ve been doing chronic cardio. But what I found is we often end up eating more the more cardio we do, versus if we’re doing weight training and some walks and maybe a HIIT here or there. By doing less, you’re much more likely to reduce your caloric intake, naturally, build more lean muscle and just overall feel better!
One thing I used to obsess about was how many carbs I ate. I went very low carb, and I went even keto for a while, and this all started in late 2017. I did not fully overcome obsession, until late last year and it got so bad. The low point was maybe early 2020, which at this point, it had gotten so bad that I was too scared to even eat berries.12 It was at that point when I knew that I needed to do something, or this was just going to get worse.
So, I stopped listening to what the experts were saying, and I decided to just really focus on how my body felt and what I was feeling in my body when I ate carbs. It had been so long since I ate carbs, that I wasn’t really sure how it was going to feel. I just started reintroducing them in small amounts. I started with berries and sweet potatoes. Those two foods not only felt really good when I ate them, I really enjoy those foods, but they were helping me in my workouts, and they were actually making my workouts better. I continued to eat more! I tried out different amounts, different types, and all with the general leading principle of how this is making me feel and like not really worrying about what people were saying about carbs, or what the keto people were saying, what the low carb people were saying, I was just going with my own intuitions.
This was around the spring or June of 2020, when I really started adding the carbs back into my diet. It took time and I would say I really didn’t overcome this completely until late 2020. At the beginning when I started doing this, I really thought I was going to go crazy that I was going to eat all the carbs. I thought that there was no way that I’m going to be able to control myself around these. But in the end, my body knew what to do it. It knows what it likes!!
Of course, I also eat cakes and cookies occasionally. The main thing is, is that I eat the carbs that I like AND I DON’T obsess about them anymore. I don’t count my macros. I don’t count my calories. I just eat what I like. I have been sticking to this for three or four months now and I am feeling really good about it. I feel like the obsession is still a little bit there, but it is slowly going away. I really feel strongly that continuing this intuitive process with the carbs is the way that I’m going to fully get over the no-carb obsession and that’s all okay!!!
One of the things that I used to obsess about, like OB-CESS about was intermittent fasting and cardio. Many years ago, I was asked to be in a fashion show and the fashion show had me wearing something like a bathing suit. But it definitely showed off my midriff and my legs, plus I had just had a baby. I had done some research about the fastest way to lose weight and I came across intermittent fasting.
In the beginning it worked well and then I just hit a plateau. So, I thought in order to up my game, I would just add in some cardio to that. And that was the recipe I needed for results. But it was also a recipe for disaster because I was so burnt out and tired of intermittent fasting and exercising by the time that that fashion show rolled around, I had hit a wall. And because of this, I didn’t know of another way to reach my goals unless it was that kind of extreme behavior.
So, after the fashion show, I just hit that wall and I knew I couldn’t go back to what I was doing. My body wasn’t responding anymore, I was tired all the time, I was hungry all the time and I was just really grumpy. When I hit rock bottom, my husband was the voice of reason. He said, “While I know what you are doing gave you the results, moving forward, do something that’s going to be healthier and going to give you more of vibrancy and longevity and help your build strength. Not just a scale weight kind of goal or what you see in the mirror kind of goal.”
When I finally wrapped my head around that and then started to get back into a training plan that made sense and was enjoying working out again, everything started to fall back into place. It took some time, and it didn’t happen overnight. But let me tell you, that intermittent fasting and doing a lot of cardio was a recipe for me to hit a wall.
Now I still intermittent fast these days, but I do it in a sane way. And I rarely do cardio like I used to. Instead, I focus on lifting heavy, I focus on getting my nutrition right, I focus on walking, I focus on mindset and I am in such a happier and better space. And I have found peace!!! I have found peace with my body, I have found peace with my mindset, I have found peace with food and just really am able to now enjoy activity again and not be so focused on vanity goals.
I hope your Magic Makers, find this helpful and I’m here if they have questions or need support!!
For me, I can’t actually say that I have stopped my obsession with working out and eating perfectly because I’m still pretty obsessive over these things. I’m actually in training currently for nationals, weightlifting and CrossFit open. So missing workouts is something that I have a very hard time wrapping my head around and it is something that I really tried not to do. BUT I had a local competition this past weekend and, on the Monday, after I showed up at the gym, and I just took it easy.
And part of me really didn’t want to take it easy, but I knew I had that rational thought of, “Okay, you need to take it easy, so you can recover and be good to go for the long haul.” And I think that that rationalization is huge. We have to have that constant self-talk with ourselves to let ourselves remember and feel okay when we know, things aren’t gonna go as we necessarily want them to or would like them to. And that same thing applies to food as well. And that is also one place I don’t obsessive over. For me, I definitely have the desire to eat clean and eat healthy, but if I’m not perfect about it, it’s not that big of a deal.
5 days effortless weight loss https://kimbarnesjefferson.lpages.co/5-days-effortless-weight-loss-march2021
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FabFitSquad
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fitgirlmagic/