It’s hard to be a woman in today’s society. You’re constantly bombarded with images and messages about what you should look like, how you should behave, and what you should eat.
- 3 Reasons Why You Feel Stuck| 175
- Using Math to Overcome Overeating| 174
- How To Avoid Diet Boredom| 173
- How To Evolve Your Fitness Through The Years|172
- Cracking The Belly Fat Code||1104
- Belly Fat Code Overview| 171
- Hallmark Movies and Dieting?: What do they have in Common| 1028
- Are You Ready To Beat Your All Or Nothing Mindset? | 170
- Fat Loss VS Weight Loss: What's The Difference?|021
- How I Improved My Menopause Story| 167
- Hidden Toxins In Our Bodies Mystery Revealed|168
- What Every Women Should Know About Menopause|167
- Menopause Myths Part 2| 0930
- Do You Want To Know More About Macros| 166
- 8 Common Myths About Menopause Part 1
- What Causes Belly Fat In Women Over 40?|
- What Women Over 40 Ought to Know About Protein| 0916
- Are You Ready To Give Up The Busy Badge? |164
- Do you Want to Know About Unexplained Weight |0909
- 3 Reasons to Stop Trying To Do Everything| 163
- Are You Ready To Let Go Of Control? ||0903
- Do You Need To Press LIfe's Pause Button|162
- What exactly is healthy aging? |161
- Powerlifting It's Easy If You Do It Smart||160
- Are You Ready To Survive The Dog Days Of Summer||0812
- Are You Ready To Find The Courage To Change |159
- Three Powerful Tips for Women Over 40 Who Want to Make a Change| 0805
- Do you want to break from diet culture| 158
- 6 Nutritional Myths That Must Die| 0729
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It Show |156
- 3 Simple Steps to Becoming More Consistent, Over 40|011
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It| 156
- Fitness Lessons I've Learned Over the Years
- How To Avoid The Shame Spiral and Make Peace With Your Body| 155
- What To Do When You Fall Off The Diet Wagon|0708
- 6 Steps To Making A Change In Your Health| 154
- How Long Does It Take To Get Fit?|0701
- Client Testimonial: Thank you for teaching me balance|153
- Are You Working On Your Mindset| 0624
- Do You Know What Brings You Joy?|152
- How Do You Know What To Eat? |6
- How to focus on the little things and get results| 151
- Why Women Over 40 Need To Strength Train| 5
- You Are Enough| 150
- Stress Free Summer Masterclass
- Making Time for Self-Care (Even if you’re Super-Busy
- What To Do When Your Diet Stops Working| 149
- Want To Lose Weight? Manage Your Stress | 0527
- How To Have A Stress Free Summer| 148
- Sleeping the 1st big rock
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Weight | 147
- Are you ready to break up with your diet mindset? |146
- The 4 Steps To Consistency Over 40 | 0506
- 5 tips to get ready for summer over 40| 145
- Consistency Is King Over 40 | 0429
- Why you need mobility and strength| 144
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet | 0422
- Why Are You Really Dieting? | 143
- You Can't Do It On Your Own| 0415
- How To Stop Letting Self Doubt Hold You Back|142
- Stop Trying to Be 30 | 141
- Stop Trying To Be 30 | 5
- The 4 Ms Method | 0327
- The Power of Movement | 0324
- How Exercise Effects Your Metabolism| 0327
- Katie Veazie Strength Training Builds Confidence | 140
- Are You Working Out Too Much? | 4
- Is Self Care Bull Sh*t? | 139
- You don't have to spend hours in the gym to see results! | 2
- Creating A Sustainable Healthy Life Over 40 | 138
- I Must Workout Hard To Get Results
- Workouts Don't Need To Crush You Kim| 137
- Why Do I Feel So Behind
- The Secrets To Getting Better Results With A Coach| 136
- Client Testimonial: The Power of Mindset| 135
- The Power Of A Flexible Metabolism| 134
- How to make exercise a habit Kim | 133
- How To Reset Your Wellness| 132
- Client Testimonial: How To Trust Your Journey| 131
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Can’t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and What To Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
This constant pressure can lead to feelings of anxiety, guilt, and shame. It can be tough to make healthy choices when you’re constantly being told or feel that you’re not good enough the way you are.
I recently got to sit down with Dr. Lucy Burns and we talked allll about diet culture and how she was able to leave it in the past so that she could have a better relationship with food. Dr. Lucy Burns is a general practice and lifestyle medicine physician who helps women in midlife rebalance their mind and body through low-carb, real food programs. At her clinic Epiphany Medical Weight Loss, through her online business Real Life Medicine, and on her podcast Real Health and Weight Loss Podcast, she helps women unlearn toxic diet culture and tap into science that promotes long-lasting health and permanent weight loss.
In 2018, Lucy began her own shift to a low-carb, real food lifestyle, which ultimately resulted in 20 kgs/44 lbs lost. Lucy’s program addresses both the physiological and psychological causes of weight gain and obesity.
Let’s start with the mantra… “What you need to do to lose weight is the same thing you need to do to maintain weight.” The way that we GET to our goal is the same way that we KEEP our goal!
As we are working with clients, we are always trying to find that thing that connects with them and that is the one thing I have found. So many people believe that if you don’t believe in diet culture, you don’t believe in losing weight. That is simply not trying. You’re allowed to change the way you look. If you want to change your health or your shape, (you are allowed to do that) there is this idea that people will do it at any cost for this ideal.
The human body doesn’t function on extreme calorie restrictions day in and day out. If you restrict yourself day in and day out, your body will slow things down. This will include weight loss too. This is how you ruin your metabolism and metabolic rate. “For years I did a calorie count of 1200 a day and the sneaky thing in there was I didn’t actually care what food I ate, as long as I stayed under my number.” -Dr. Lucy Burns And when it comes to diet culture, the people who create these programs and ideas are so plugged into the buttons that need to be pushed. The buttons that light up your brain like a freaking slot machine on what to say. They study women and give us what we think we want to hear and that pulls us into that culture.
In order to lose weight, we have to look at all areas of our lives. This is why things work differently for each person. And we have to look at HORMONES. When people think of the word hormones, they think of the women’s hormone of progesterone, etc. But there is SOOO much more to hormones. There are actually a lot of metabolic hormones that are involved in the way we metabolize our food and store our data. Metabolic hormones include insulin, lectin, ghrelin. Insulin is heavily involved in fat storage. Lectin is involved in our fullness signaling. And ghrelin is our hunger hormone. A lot of the information we have been given was wrong, in particular with “low fat” dieting. This “low fat” leads to disastrous consequences overall. Low fat is not okay because it’s supplemented with other things like tons of sugar that cause insulin resistance, type 2 diabetes, etc. And for lots of people, they have dysregulated metabolic hormones because of this unhealthy “swap”.
When someone says, I know in order to lose weight, I need to be in a caloric deficit?
We are going to tell a true story… but how do we get into a calorie deficit if we are not tracking our calories? There is a big difference between calorie deficit and calorie restrictions. Dieting is all about calorie restriction… If you’re overweight and have been overweight for a considerable amount of time, the likelihood is that you have dysregulated metabolic hormones and the idea is we have to rebalance them. That is the first key to being able to empty your fat stores. So how do we do that?….
If we think about our body as requiring heat for example, let’s say we have a fireplace. And we know that in order to make a good fire, you need both kindling and logs. So, the kindling is our glucose, which is actually a carbohydrate that we eat. And the logs are our fat. So, we can either eat the fat or use our stored fat. But in a really well-run metabolic process, you use a bit of kindling, as well as some logs and now you’ve got beautiful energy for the day! However, for lots of us, we don’t have any logs next to our fireplace. They’re in what I like to call a woodshed. So, what you have to do is you tunnel out to your woodshed, and your body is trying to get access to its fat stores. But when it tries it’s opening the doors to that shed, the doors are actually locked! And the padlock is our insulin.
For some people, they only have one padlock. And for other people they have five or six padlocks! So, with the woodshed being locked up, they come back to their fireplace, it’s getting low in energy, and it’s dwindling on just a few coals. When this happens, this is when people start having what they’ll call a Hypo and they get really hungry, they may feel lightheaded, or sweaty, or they’ll just start feeling terrible. Their brain starts to signal them to eat something quickly and they end up grabbing the fastest, quickest way to get glucose in, which is often a cookie or some chocolate, and you feel immediately better.
THIS is exactly what happens then, in people with metabolic syndrome or dysregulated metabolic hormones. They end up on this cycle of hunger and they then start associating it with cravings. And ladies, it’s not that they’re weak, it is just your brain doesn’t know what to do!
So, what you will do next is look at your sugars, look at your sugar intake because sugar is in everything processed. Bread, pasta, pasta sauce, condiments, etc. Sugar is an addictive product; it is like cigarettes. So how much of it are you eating a day and where can you remove it? Keep it simple while doing this. We need to make the change really simple because our brain doesn’t like change! So, in order to keep things simple and make the changes to get you closer to eating less sugars we are going to take a look at this simple formula to BUILD A PLATE!
1. Pick a protein (our bodies love protein) and most of us undereat protein.
a. Meat, fish, eggs, dairy
b. Vegetarian, soy. Tempeh
2. Pick vegetables.
a. Pick a few colors
3. Add fat.
a. If your protein is lean, add some fat to your plate
b. You are allowed to have fat; it is NOT THE DEVIL!
c. butter, olive oil, coconut cream, etc.
So that is it! It’s easy, you are keeping it simple, and you are making sure that you are getting your protein, veggies, fats and flavor! Fat and protein together are very satiating, and it keeps you fuller longer. When you focus on fat and protein, you don’t eat so many calories and you also don’t get these whole insulin surges.
In addition to building your plate, eat when you are hungry. Don’t eat around the clock because you have to eat. Eat when you want to eat, when you feel that you are hungry enough to eat! You don’t need to eat breakfast if you are not ready or hungry for breakfast. (If you wait to eat when you are actually hungry, your food will taste better too!) You also do not need to finish something off of your plate so that you are not wasting it. It can go into the garbage! It is okay! And stop grabbing at the kids’ plates. You do not need to finish the kids’ food off their plate because you don’t want to waste it either! If you find yourself constantly trying to finish your plate even though you are full you are giving yourself too much. (This goes for your kids too). Start with a smaller bowl and if you want more you can get more but start off small.
I read on Lucy’s website this little bit and I just love it so much. Weight Loss is “95% mindset, 4% food. 1% movements.” Our rigid mindset is what is keeping us stuck!!
Diet culture told us that we have to eat a certain amount of calories… And everything tells us we have to keep removing things until we are stuck eating lettuce and ice!! Our bodies don’t run on calories, they run on nutrients! It is okay to not live on lettuce and ice. That is not perfection, and we have to stop striving for it.
We are all perfectly flawed humans and no one is perfect. That is what is so toxic about diet culture, it’s all about perfection. Perfection is a myth! We don’t need to be perfect. We just have to learn to manage our imperfections! And what diet culture does is it encourages us to decide if we are perfect and if we are not perfect, and the words we use are not okay. Broke, failed, etc. destructive words to our psyche and it’s not okay to use them towards ourselves. Just because we stray off of a path, does not mean we have to talk negatively about ourselves. Be positive and give yourself grace!
Now, there are 3 buckets of people that I think most people fall into when it comes to their relationships with food.
1. The first bucket is a set of people that don’t care about food at all.
a. They will have a cake once a year on their birthday. They don’t care and are not food orientated.
b. It is like having a glass of wine twice a year. They can do it and it’s just whatever to them.
2. The second bucket is the middle bucket of people. Most people fall under this.
a. They are eating more than they want to or what is helpful to them
b. Chocolate and ice cream on the couch some nights because of a bad day at work.
c. They can actually stop. Possibly causing some issues, but it is not completely detrimental to their health yet.
3. The 3rd bucket of people are those that are addicted to these processed sugars and cannot stop and it’s causing complete harm.
a. They may have diabetes, or even complications from diabetes and still, they cannot stop.
You need to know yourself well and see what bucket you are falling under. The majority of people are in the middle bucket. Some people are actually in this end bucket, the big one. It’s like an addiction and they are completely hooked on processed foods. “I was probably in that bucket but found it really hard to stop. I know now that if I have a hankering for a cookie and I have one, it still doesn’t go away. It’s an itch that doesn’t get scratched. For me it is easier to have no cookies than one. And it’s not that I am feeling deprived or restricted, I NO LONGER feel this because I know myself well enough to know that 1 is too many and 1000 is never enough! This is not the same for everyone.” – Lucy
Sustainable, long term weight loss is a personal development journey. It is not a meal plan. You learn to know yourself really well. Learn to know what your drive is for eating. Sometimes there is stress, or there are emotions tied to it, and then there are actual addictions to foods. Once you work out your drive, you can work with it. Most people don’t take the time to step back and assess what is going on in my world. What lane are you in? What is my bucket? If I am constantly doing things out of my bucket, I am always going to feel like a failure because I am not choosing something where I am right now. This is again where diet products are offering a quick solution. “You don’t need to know yourself well, just drink these shakes. You’re fine!” Do you really want to lose weight to just regain it? This is a quick fix but it’s not permanent.
When you learn to know yourself, who you are, what bucket you are in, what your drivers are, what your motivation is…. You feel like you are driving down the road and have lane assist now. You are making small adjustments here and there and you are not over correcting all the time! You are making micro corrections and they are easy! You are no longer over correcting all the time!
And guess what?? YOU ARE MORE than the number on the scale! And don’t let anyone tell you differently!!
What makes you feel magical?
The magical thing for me has been knowing what my drivers were eating in the past. Now, instead berating myself as motivation, I now treat myself with love, compassion and kindness. I recognize I am not perfect, and I do not need to be, and if I am not liking what I am doing, or my behavior, I look at what is driving my behavior and what do I need to make adjustments to so I can do the things I want to do.
Real Life Medicine Website:
Free Insulin Book:
Real Life Medicine Instagram:
Real Life Medicine Facebook: