Like many of us, today’s guest Eve Guzman has done ALL the diets! She had tried everything under the sun! But it wasn’t until she used her background in science to start looking into her weight loss with a different lens. This brought her to something that actually worked for her. MACROS!
- How Can Vitamin D Transform Your Life|216
- What Every Menopausal Women Needs to Know About Strength Training|216
- Should You Do the 75 Hard Show |215
- How to track your menopause journey |214
- How To Deal with Grief |213
- Are you enjoying your weight loss process| 212
- Are You Done with Procrastination| 211
- Are you ready to break up with diet culture|210
- Menopause: Your Top Questions Answered | 209
- What Everyone Must Know About DIET CULTURE AND MID-LIFE|208
- Are You Failing For These 8 Common Weight loss Pitfalls|207
- Unlocking Wellness at 40+: What Lab Tests Are Essential for Optimal Health|206
- What you need to know about the Effects of Alcohol After 40 |205
- What women need to know about Alzheimer's|204
- 5 Things Keeping The Weight On|203
- What Every Woman Needs To Know About Hashimoto’s |202
- I need To Focus On These 5 Things To Change My Body|201
- I Was An OverExerciser||0526
- How To Be Your Own Success Story| 200
- Do you want a guilt-free summer?|199
- What Every Woman Ought To Know About Gut Health| 198
- Are You Ready To Be Consistent? |197
- Are You Ready To Nail The Diet Basics?| 196
- It's time to stop hating your body |195
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet|194
- How To Successfully Deal With Stress|193
- The Power of Atomic Habits| 192
- Is Sugar A Really Big Deal? | 191
- Are you looking to master self-discipline? |190
- What You Ought To Know About Hypnosis|189
- 10 Weight Loss Mistakes Over 40 You Are Making| 188
- Are you ready to make consistent progress towards your goals| 187
- Are you looking to improve your brain fog? | 186
- The Secrets To Practical Stress Management |185
- The secret to weight loss success stop trying to be perfect|184
- 7 Ways To Build Self Discipline|183
- Discover The Secret To Setting Strong Boundaries|182
- How to Handle Adrenal Fatigue| 180
- Are You Ready To Beat Stress and Overwhelm in 2023?| 181
- Are You Making These Weight Loss Mistakes| 179
- How to Fall In Love With Your Over 40 Body| 178
- Do You Need A Health Reset?| 177
- Simple Mindset Tactics That Help You Lose Weight |176
- 3 Reasons Why You Feel Stuck| 175
- Using Math to Overcome Overeating| 174
- How To Avoid Diet Boredom| 173
- How To Evolve Your Fitness Through The Years|172
- Cracking The Belly Fat Code||1104
- Belly Fat Code Overview| 171
- Hallmark Movies and Dieting?: What do they have in Common| 1028
- Are You Ready To Beat Your All Or Nothing Mindset? | 170
- Fat Loss VS Weight Loss: What's The Difference?|021
- How I Improved My Menopause Story| 167
- Hidden Toxins In Our Bodies Mystery Revealed|168
- What Every Women Should Know About Menopause|167
- Menopause Myths Part 2| 0930
- Do You Want To Know More About Macros| 166
- 8 Common Myths About Menopause Part 1
- What Causes Belly Fat In Women Over 40?|
- What Women Over 40 Ought to Know About Protein| 0916
- Are You Ready To Give Up The Busy Badge? |164
- Do you Want to Know About Unexplained Weight |0909
- 3 Reasons to Stop Trying To Do Everything| 163
- Are You Ready To Let Go Of Control? ||0903
- Do You Need To Press LIfe's Pause Button|162
- What exactly is healthy aging? |161
- Powerlifting It's Easy If You Do It Smart||160
- Are You Ready To Survive The Dog Days Of Summer||0812
- Are You Ready To Find The Courage To Change |159
- Three Powerful Tips for Women Over 40 Who Want to Make a Change| 0805
- Do you want to break from diet culture| 158
- 6 Nutritional Myths That Must Die| 0729
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It Show |156
- 3 Simple Steps to Becoming More Consistent, Over 40|011
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It| 156
- Fitness Lessons I've Learned Over the Years
- How To Avoid The Shame Spiral and Make Peace With Your Body| 155
- What To Do When You Fall Off The Diet Wagon|0708
- 6 Steps To Making A Change In Your Health| 154
- How Long Does It Take To Get Fit?|0701
- Client Testimonial: Thank you for teaching me balance|153
- Are You Working On Your Mindset| 0624
- Do You Know What Brings You Joy?|152
- How Do You Know What To Eat? |6
- How to focus on the little things and get results| 151
- Why Women Over 40 Need To Strength Train| 5
- You Are Enough| 150
- Stress Free Summer Masterclass
- Making Time for Self-Care (Even if you’re Super-Busy
- What To Do When Your Diet Stops Working| 149
- Want To Lose Weight? Manage Your Stress | 0527
- How To Have A Stress Free Summer| 148
- Sleeping the 1st big rock
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Weight | 147
- Are you ready to break up with your diet mindset? |146
- The 4 Steps To Consistency Over 40 | 0506
- 5 tips to get ready for summer over 40| 145
- Consistency Is King Over 40 | 0429
- Why you need mobility and strength| 144
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet | 0422
- Why Are You Really Dieting? | 143
- You Can't Do It On Your Own| 0415
- How To Stop Letting Self Doubt Hold You Back|142
- Stop Trying to Be 30 | 141
- Stop Trying To Be 30 | 5
- The Power of Movement | 0324
- How Exercise Effects Your Metabolism| 0327
- The 4 Ms Method | 0327
- Katie Veazie Strength Training Builds Confidence | 140
- Are You Working Out Too Much? | 4
- Is Self Care Bull Sh*t? | 139
- You don't have to spend hours in the gym to see results! | 2
- Creating A Sustainable Healthy Life Over 40 | 138
- I Must Workout Hard To Get Results
- Workouts Don't Need To Crush You Kim| 137
- Why Do I Feel So Behind
- The Secrets To Getting Better Results With A Coach| 136
- Client Testimonial: The Power of Mindset| 135
- The Power Of A Flexible Metabolism| 134
- How to make exercise a habit Kim | 133
- How To Reset Your Wellness| 132
- Client Testimonial: How To Trust Your Journey| 131
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Can’t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and What To Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
On today’s Fit Girl Magic podcast, we dive into what macros are, how they can help you with your weight loss and how to stop abusing them! Ladies, when I tell you this is an amazing episode it really is. I have been waiting so long for this.
Eve has years of experience working with clients to find their perfect macros ratio and she’s sharing all her tips and tricks on today’s show!
Today’s guest, Eve Guzman, is the founder of the Macro Mentorship Program, the unique macro nutrition + business coaching course. Eve turns health coaches and nutritionists into macro experts, increases their re-sign rates, builds their confidence with nutrition coaching, and streamlines their client management systems while scaling their businesses! I just know you are going to find all she has to say so beneficial!
Macro abuse… Let’s start with this.
I have no clue when the whole IIFYM “it fits in your macros” started… Ben and Jerry’s, Snickers.. Well, it If It Fits Into Your Macros… I should have weight loss! It became marketed and recommended on socials and stuff and ran parallel with people wanting to do figure competitions, etc. Macros, therefore, became this vicious cycle of people stuffing their faces with Snickers bar because it fit into their macros, to then aggressively trying to cut macros to save themselves from themselves. This was all simultaneously happening around the same time everybody wanted to be a bikini competitor, everyone did shows to make themselves lose weight… and everyone was eating pop tarts, snickers, and pizza!
But this wasn’t the case for Eve. She was always on a diet until she came across MACROS!
What was it that said, this was going to work for me?
I’ve done all the diets. Some people say that and what does that actually mean?? I’ve done Slim fast, meal replacements, Optifast (Medifast or Octavia), I drank 5 shakes and a little bar, Progresso soup, Special K diet, Weight Watchers, and Lean Cuisine packets, I’ve done everything!!! When I couldn’t stick to the diets, I had to step back and say, “WHY can’t I stick to them?” There was always a meal plan that said to stick to this, so I wasn’t looking at the calories I was eating, I wasn’t looking at the macros I was eating. Either they were too hard, or I was so hungry, and the food was gross.
I thought it was me, a willpower thing. I’m going to be fat forever, victim mentality! What I did instead was I backed up and looked at all of my degrees I had. A Bachelor’s Degree in Pre-Med with a minor in Biochemistry, and a bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology and Laboratory Science. Why am I eating meals out of a packet or box? I have this student loan debt for being a scientist, why can’t I figure this out and create my whole plan!?
I backed away from diets, and meal plans, to replace this sugar-free shit and I made a calorie-based diet for myself that actually put me in a deficit. Macros won’t save you, it’s a calorie deficit that creates weight loss! I can eat clean, eat treats, stay in a deficit and track my calories. I did this for 6 months, and looked at the data further, where are my calories coming from? This is where I found macros before they were a thing. This was not a new diet; this was basic nutrition!!!
I started this from 2013-2014, coached myself on this, and started getting better results. I then realized that I got way wetter results tracking macros vs just calories alone! My body was changing so I then coached my husband right after who became my very first client and he had lost 125 in the first year and a half! That’s how I got to macro tracking, gave up all this other bullshit out there, and got back to science!
I was put into a box, and I needed to break out of it. I finally became in control because I allowed myself to compile the data. People will allow themselves to be thrown into a new box when one thing doesn’t work. You don’t have data because you went into that box and did what the program told you. Did you even know WHY you lost weight? Do you know what to do even to maintain it? Can you look at what you were doing to make changes? That is ALL ABOUT DATA! What gets managed has to get measured at some point first!
3 Things That Can Help With Weight Loss When Focusing On Macros.
First, track your food! I know, we are going to get some eye rolls, but it’s so important. When you track your calories, you can also track your macros. By doing this, you will always have this tool when you need it. There are great apps out there to help with this, and MyFitnessPal is one of them. (It is definitely worth the paid version, especially if you are trying to lose a lot of weight and maintain it.)
Because I learned portion sizes from tracking, and what it is to truly be full, satiated, and eat real foods, I know my hunger cues. I know how to act if I am low carb! I know how I will be If I am working out fasted and going into a meeting, I am going to cuss people out!
I know what my body does because I have the data! So, when I go through long periods of not tracking, I know what to do now, I know how to get through those periods.
Second, you have to tune into your hunger cues. So many of us grew up eating every X amount of hours. Am I hungry or did I train myself to eat now? I had to ask myself, am I truly hungry? How do I feel now or how would I feel an hour from now? Learn the hunger, how full I am, and how long I can go.
And lastly, stop eating around the clock! For many of us, it’s challenging to stop eating by the clock. Many of us thought that being hungry was a death sentence and tanked our metabolism! But hunger is a great thing!! It shows you that your metabolism is working well. To never have hunger is actually the opposite. It is a bad thing. If you are never hungry, this is a sign of an underactive metabolism, a low metabolic rate, and you are not really burning to your full potential each day. So… this usually means that your metabolism is sluggish.
I go through a series with clients with this:
● How hungry are you?
● How full you are?
● How comfortable are you?
● How do you feel on a scale when it feels like it’s been 3 hours, 4 hours, and so on?
● Size that against how much you are eating.
What are macros…?
Alright, so if you are with me this far you may know or not know what macros are.. So let’s break them down!
Macros are macronutrients. These are all of the different components in the foods you want and eat. Whether you have been on a meal plan or calorie tracking or not, everyone is eating macros and we have since day 1! All the food we choose or don’t choose consists of proteins, carbs, fats, or a mixture. A lot of people don’t know they are eating macros all day because they are just focusing on the calories on the back of a package or the marketing on the front. Where we get confused is by the front of the packaging. It says high protein and that can be confusing, especially on a freaking protein bar with only 6 grams of protein and 30grams of carbs.… that is NOT high protein!
Macros help you to better understand and make better choices so you can look for what it’s composed of, not just its calories. Then you can ask yourself, “Is it going to help me get to my goal?” Become aware of eating and decide where those calories are going. Do you want to consume 100 calories of fats or 100 calories of fats, proteins, and carbs?
Maintenance: Let’s say we need X amount of carbs, X of proteins, and X of fats, now is that a set it and forget it? Or as you work your way through the dieting process, fat loss, cut, maintenance phases, are we always making adjustments?
Yes! Always! We can’t stay in just one single phase forever, unless it’s maintenance, but that will always be a floating number. Maintenance is fluid depending on what is going on with you, your activities, metabolism adapting, are you losing weight too quickly.
You are doing initial macros for 2-3 weeks, collecting data then making the call on macros and calories. If you don’t have the data, you won’t know. Some people think you put your macros in a deficit and keep it forever until you hit your goal weight. But that’s not going to be the case.
What are some of the physiological things you work with your clients to get over the eating more for a few months and it will be okay? This is for clients who are coaches and non-coaches. Especially if you’ve been dieting for a long time. It is scary for a coach to say, the deficit is over, let’s raise your calories because people always assume weight gain with a calorie increase. But you are going from a deficit to losing weight, so you are in the calorie and macro range below your maintenance calories. You lose weight because of this. So, if we calculate your maintenance macros at the new weight, what should happen? We should maintain or not really gain weight! That is what is supposed to happen!
Yes, some people gain weight on the reverse, but most of it is water because of the rehydration of the body. As the macros and carbs increase, they are there to hydrate. It’s not really weight, just 2 pounds of this water weight which is not true fat or weight gain.
It takes a lot of walking clients through science and numbers during this. Wouldn’t you want to maintain your weight on a higher-calorie diet?? And not be hangry? I think so!!
What are the things that just keep you sane?
I am completely against 100% clean eating in a deficit. I think people should work on fun stuff for the rest of their life. 80% of what I eat is pretty clean, whole foods, low in preservatives, natural, they come out of an animal and out of the ground unless it is a box of rice. Then, 20% is the fun mental sanity stuff! A piece of chocolate, an Oreo here or there. I am not dieting right now, but if I was it would be the same! You can’t feel like you are giving everything up. And if you practice this in all phases you are in, you don’t always have to feel like you are going into a diet and it’s horrible and setting yourself up for something bad! During those phases, we won’t have it as much, but you still can have it, and by doing this it helps to prevent binging.
You have to know yourself.. What can you have in the house or not? Tortilla chips I CAN’T have in the house because I would just have them all! Know what your trigger foods are and limit them or simply don’t bring them in the house.
Trying on macros for size.
I love this! When we do check-ins with clients, I always want feedback. It’s not always about what the macros were, how close you were, and the weight that was lost. But it’s about, are you feeling like shit? Are you stressed? Is your hunger low? That is showing me your body is going through stress and it may be time to pull the deficit.
We are always looking for energy, hunger, mental capacity to stick with the plan, libido, waking up recovered? So many things to look up and see if the macros are the best fit or is it time to get to another phase. It matters about all of this stuff! So many of us think it’s the food or workout keeping us from the goal, but we don’t look at our external life and we need to do this.
A lot of my listeners are over 40. Do your macros change based on your age? Or do you change it based on the individual person? Age is tied to hormones, perimenopause, or menopause. So, the macros should definitely change! There are going to be changes in macros, the profile approaching carbs and fat, how long a diet should be, how deep the deficit should be, natural supplements, and the type of training you are going to do.
Our progesterone and estrogen are changing, so that is why so many people experience weight gain or fat distribution in different places during this time. When estrogen drops, it changes the way our body is processing carbohydrates, starches, and sugars and can lead to a lot of insulin resistance. It’s not age, it’s the chemical profile of our body. Women in menopause need to boost their fats a little to help. Not low carb, not keto, but they do need help in the area of making it easier to help the levels of estrogen they have not become insulin resistant when you are processing carbs.
Also, the types of workouts you are doing should change. Lifting weights and strength training is a big one and a big game changer for keeping our metabolic rate higher for those who are older!
What is one thing that makes you feel magical?
Traveling!! Being in the water or by the water. As a business owner, when I have time and freedom to do that, I feel so magical! Oh, and warm chocolate chip cookies of course!!!
Cracking The Belly Fat Code:
Macro Nutrition Coaching Certification
Eve Guzman Instagram: