It’s no secret that the world we live in is full of toxins. They’re in the air we breathe, the water we drink, and the food we eat. And while our bodies are designed to handle some toxins, they’re not designed to handle the sheer volume of toxins we’re exposed to on a daily basis. When our bodies become overloaded with toxins, it can lead to a host of health problems, from hormone imbalances and fertility issues to anxiety and depression.
- How Can Vitamin D Transform Your Life|216
- What Every Menopausal Women Needs to Know About Strength Training|216
- Should You Do the 75 Hard Show |215
- How to track your menopause journey |214
- How To Deal with Grief |213
- Are you enjoying your weight loss process| 212
- Are You Done with Procrastination| 211
- Are you ready to break up with diet culture|210
- Menopause: Your Top Questions Answered | 209
- What Everyone Must Know About DIET CULTURE AND MID-LIFE|208
- Are You Failing For These 8 Common Weight loss Pitfalls|207
- Unlocking Wellness at 40+: What Lab Tests Are Essential for Optimal Health|206
- What you need to know about the Effects of Alcohol After 40 |205
- What women need to know about Alzheimer's|204
- 5 Things Keeping The Weight On|203
- What Every Woman Needs To Know About Hashimoto’s |202
- I need To Focus On These 5 Things To Change My Body|201
- I Was An OverExerciser||0526
- How To Be Your Own Success Story| 200
- Do you want a guilt-free summer?|199
- What Every Woman Ought To Know About Gut Health| 198
- Are You Ready To Be Consistent? |197
- Are You Ready To Nail The Diet Basics?| 196
- It's time to stop hating your body |195
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet|194
- How To Successfully Deal With Stress|193
- The Power of Atomic Habits| 192
- Is Sugar A Really Big Deal? | 191
- Are you looking to master self-discipline? |190
- What You Ought To Know About Hypnosis|189
- 10 Weight Loss Mistakes Over 40 You Are Making| 188
- Are you ready to make consistent progress towards your goals| 187
- Are you looking to improve your brain fog? | 186
- The Secrets To Practical Stress Management |185
- The secret to weight loss success stop trying to be perfect|184
- 7 Ways To Build Self Discipline|183
- Discover The Secret To Setting Strong Boundaries|182
- How to Handle Adrenal Fatigue| 180
- Are You Ready To Beat Stress and Overwhelm in 2023?| 181
- Are You Making These Weight Loss Mistakes| 179
- How to Fall In Love With Your Over 40 Body| 178
- Do You Need A Health Reset?| 177
- Simple Mindset Tactics That Help You Lose Weight |176
- 3 Reasons Why You Feel Stuck| 175
- Using Math to Overcome Overeating| 174
- How To Avoid Diet Boredom| 173
- How To Evolve Your Fitness Through The Years|172
- Cracking The Belly Fat Code||1104
- Belly Fat Code Overview| 171
- Hallmark Movies and Dieting?: What do they have in Common| 1028
- Are You Ready To Beat Your All Or Nothing Mindset? | 170
- Fat Loss VS Weight Loss: What's The Difference?|021
- How I Improved My Menopause Story| 167
- Hidden Toxins In Our Bodies Mystery Revealed|168
- What Every Women Should Know About Menopause|167
- Menopause Myths Part 2| 0930
- Do You Want To Know More About Macros| 166
- 8 Common Myths About Menopause Part 1
- What Causes Belly Fat In Women Over 40?|
- What Women Over 40 Ought to Know About Protein| 0916
- Are You Ready To Give Up The Busy Badge? |164
- Do you Want to Know About Unexplained Weight |0909
- 3 Reasons to Stop Trying To Do Everything| 163
- Are You Ready To Let Go Of Control? ||0903
- Do You Need To Press LIfe's Pause Button|162
- What exactly is healthy aging? |161
- Powerlifting It's Easy If You Do It Smart||160
- Are You Ready To Survive The Dog Days Of Summer||0812
- Are You Ready To Find The Courage To Change |159
- Three Powerful Tips for Women Over 40 Who Want to Make a Change| 0805
- Do you want to break from diet culture| 158
- 6 Nutritional Myths That Must Die| 0729
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It Show |156
- 3 Simple Steps to Becoming More Consistent, Over 40|011
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It| 156
- Fitness Lessons I've Learned Over the Years
- How To Avoid The Shame Spiral and Make Peace With Your Body| 155
- What To Do When You Fall Off The Diet Wagon|0708
- 6 Steps To Making A Change In Your Health| 154
- How Long Does It Take To Get Fit?|0701
- Client Testimonial: Thank you for teaching me balance|153
- Are You Working On Your Mindset| 0624
- Do You Know What Brings You Joy?|152
- How Do You Know What To Eat? |6
- How to focus on the little things and get results| 151
- Why Women Over 40 Need To Strength Train| 5
- You Are Enough| 150
- Stress Free Summer Masterclass
- Making Time for Self-Care (Even if you’re Super-Busy
- What To Do When Your Diet Stops Working| 149
- Want To Lose Weight? Manage Your Stress | 0527
- How To Have A Stress Free Summer| 148
- Sleeping the 1st big rock
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Weight | 147
- Are you ready to break up with your diet mindset? |146
- The 4 Steps To Consistency Over 40 | 0506
- 5 tips to get ready for summer over 40| 145
- Consistency Is King Over 40 | 0429
- Why you need mobility and strength| 144
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet | 0422
- Why Are You Really Dieting? | 143
- You Can't Do It On Your Own| 0415
- How To Stop Letting Self Doubt Hold You Back|142
- Stop Trying to Be 30 | 141
- Stop Trying To Be 30 | 5
- The Power of Movement | 0324
- How Exercise Effects Your Metabolism| 0327
- The 4 Ms Method | 0327
- Katie Veazie Strength Training Builds Confidence | 140
- Are You Working Out Too Much? | 4
- Is Self Care Bull Sh*t? | 139
- You don't have to spend hours in the gym to see results! | 2
- Creating A Sustainable Healthy Life Over 40 | 138
- I Must Workout Hard To Get Results
- Workouts Don't Need To Crush You Kim| 137
- Why Do I Feel So Behind
- The Secrets To Getting Better Results With A Coach| 136
- Client Testimonial: The Power of Mindset| 135
- The Power Of A Flexible Metabolism| 134
- How to make exercise a habit Kim | 133
- How To Reset Your Wellness| 132
- Client Testimonial: How To Trust Your Journey| 131
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Can’t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and What To Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
So what can you do to protect yourself from the harmful effects of toxins?
This is what happened to our latest guest, Dr. Wendie Trubow. She is a functional gynecologist and is passionate about helping women optimize their health and lives.. Through her struggles with mold and metal toxicity, Celiac disease, and other health issues, Dr Wendie has developed a deep sense of compassion and expertise for what her patients are facing. Wendie got into the toxicity topic because it happened to her, which made her an amazing person to talk about this topic and help me bring this knowledge to you all!
How did the toxicity symptoms start to manifest itself? Did it happen while a doctor or a long time coming?
When I look back I can say, “Oh, I had these problems for a long time.”, we are talking back to childhood where I had zero understanding or awareness of it. The symptoms didn’t occur to me as problems, it was just how I thought I was supposed to be. I thought asthma was normal, I thought acne was normal, I thought not having good hair was normal and I just didn’t have any insight into any of it at the time. And I wasn’t sick… I just wasn’t at my optimal health.
It really hit me hard when I became 48 and that is when my mess became my message! I had different symptoms but it wasn’t really bad. Then we went on vacation in France and the month I came home I gained 9 pounds. My hair started falling out worse, and I had a rash all over my face that would not quit. Now, I have been doing functional medicine, so I started doing workup on myself. My thyroid was fine, my hormones were fine, the stool was ok.
Then I was listening to the radio about when Notre Dame Cathedral burned down, it released 500 pounds of lead dust into the air. I was there the week after the fire happened, and the entire time I kept saying to my husband, why is it so dusty here? But we had NO idea we had lead exposure! I got sick right after we got home. I did a heavy metals test on myself. (in the past I tested at a 9, then tested and it was 12… a 25% increase.) I knew after this test that it was a lead exposure that was making me sick.
I started a protocol and treatment and started another test where I tested positive for heavy metals, mycotoxins and other toxins, pesticides, makeup nail polish, etc. The numbers were so high and from this experience, my book Dirty Girl was written.
I had to get this information out there, I had to get my experience with this out there for others, because I KNOW that I was not the only person going through this. It was at that moment that this was how my mess became my message. This became my passion because a lot of us are working hard to be healthy, but can’t get to the way we want to look or feel, and often it is because of the toxins.
What do we mean by hidden toxins?
● Nail polish, the smell in the nail salon
● Hair dyes
● All these chemicals in the air we breathe in
● Stress and emotional baggage
● The way you think can be toxic
● Environmental toxins
It’s not just one thing that is the culprit, it’s a cumulation of things. What are we exposing ourselves to that are harmful every single day?
Really quick, please remember that this is a journey, not just a process. You will not complete it overnight! You’re going to screw it up and get green-washed, white-washed, hog-washed! LOL! I have been there! But you need to move on and don’t be mad at yourself.
Take baby steps. Don’t just throw everything out because that is wasteful, but once you are done with one thing, swap it for something without toxins. Don’t just do it all at once, you have to balance it out a little at a time. All of this consumerism is really bad for the earth so if we are just throwing it out you are contributing to that problem. Don’t be wasteful, use it up and get a better product after it’s gone.
Let’s Talk Metals
If we think about metals, many of us don’t know a lot about it. So why should we care so much about being exposed to metals? Because they affect our bodies in many different ways that we may not even realize is because of the heavy metals in our bodies.
Not so bad symptoms..
● Hair loss, weight gain
To me that’s bad but for some, it may not be. But those things tend to catch people’s attention.
● Heart disease
● High Blood pressure
● Autoimmune disease
● Hearing loss
● Chronic stomach issues
The worst consequences of long-term toxin exposure and other heavy metals.
● Degenerative diseases
● Autoimmune disease
● Things that can cause your life to be shortened and quality be bad
How would I know if I should get a heavy metal test? Find a doctor like you? Do my own?
Look for a seasoned functional medicine doctor, one at a senior level. If you go to the conventional doctor they will do a blood test on you but you miss 99% of people who have heavy metal problems because it only shows what you were exposed to and is acute before you excrete it or store it. It doesn’t show what is stored in your body. Not a huge fan of this test unless you had a recent exposure. Hair testing isn’t the best either.
Instead, do a baseline for acute (recent) exposure, then do a urine test using DMSA. The DMSA attaches to and pulls out the lead, mercury, cadmium, thallium, arsenic & pulls out the nasty ones . Then you can measure what is in there.
Endocrine disruptors and WHAT are they?
For many of us, it is more of a problem than metals and is more prevalent in our lives.
The lowest hanging fruit would be plastic water bottles, don’t buy those! They are so toxic for you! Bring extra reusable water bottles and fill them and just make sure you are prepared. We are so busy and run around so much that we think we need easy fixes like that case of water bottles in the car. Ditch that right away! Another is perchlorate. It is in a lot of our water systems, to keep it from being a toxin. It is an endocrine disruptor, so any organ in our bodies that make hormones will be thrown off by this. It is very important to filter water so you do not drink that chemical.
One thing that was hard for me was the nail polish, this breaks my heart… every Sunday night I do my nails.. But beauty products, nail polish, shampoos, lotions, they all contain substances that can disrupt the endocrine system. It binds to what our hormones are and we have to process 2-3x as much. There is just far too much in the body.
Environmental Working Group (EWG) you speak on this a lot.
The more you know the more you can do better! There are two sites that I love to use to check the cleanliness of the products I am buying. They rate it for cancer-causing, allergies, and endocrine disrupting. And those are EWG.org https://www.ewg.org/& the ThinkDirty app. https://thinkdirtyapp.com/ (both have phone apps) These give you a rating system. 1-2 for EWG is the best and cleanest, so go for the green rating when searching for products.
Let’s think about this… The EPA has only banned 9 chemicals in the last 40 years. 50 years of being around and that is all they are able to ban. Unfortunately, there is not enough funding for them to research the rest and ban them too. So with the 500,000 chemicals, they have only been able to research enough to ban 9. There is so much we do not know about in our products. We have to do our due diligence when it comes to looking up things for ourselves.
They may say 1 in a billion measured exposure is okay. But when you combine that 1 in 1 billion parts of chemicals with the other few hundred things that are exposed to at a time or in the course of a day, they cannot determine all of the damage it causes to our bodies. Take a look at the disease over the last 50 years; cancer, autoimmune disease, chronic diseases, degenerative diseases, cancer. They have all increased in that time and those 4 categories are what catch our attention. That is the epidemic.
How would I go about picking and choosing our battles?
No woman is on an island alone, don’t go on this journey alone. Get someone in your corner to cheer you on. A integrative functional medicine nutritionist, a naturopath, a functional medicine MD. It doesn’t matter who you choose just as long as they are senior enough to know what they are doing, they are on your side and you resonate with them. Recognize that this is a process and you are never really done. This is a constant improving process and there is tons of stuff you can do on your own.
● Level up your food.
Make better choices with foods. Where they are from and what is in or on them. Shop local and buy organic if you can.
● Level up your beauty products.
● Look into your house, furniture, Air and water quality
○ 1 in every 6 deaths is directly attributed to air and water quality.
○ Fix air quality. Try to get the air as clean as possible. If you live near a highway or industrial plant you cannot change that, but you can change the indoor quality and keep out.
● Get a filter for water at home.
● Pick your battles and see how you feel.
How to detoxify. What are things people can do to help your liver?
You are what you eat! Choose foods that are easy for your liver to utilize and don’t give your liver food that stresses it. Alcohol is really nasty for you. If you can get away with it don’t drink because it is bad for you and stresses your liver.
Make sure you get cruciferous vegetables. Vitamin A, E, C, polyphenols, turmeric, and carotenes, are all things that help liver phase 1 and some phase 2. If you eat animal products, eat flesh because you get critical amino acids that are supporting detoxification. Eggs, cilantro, parsley, gelatin, bone broth, all things that support the liver. Eat the rainbow and eat bright colored foods and just be mindful of where your food is coming from.
If you want to take a deeper dive into what we talked about on the podcast and in this blog, you have to get her book, Dirty Girl: Ditch The Toxins, Look Great And Feel FREAKING Amazing. This book is really eye-opening and touches on soooo much more than we can talk about in an hour. (Linked in show notes below)
Also, if you want to work with Wendie, she has a functional medicine and wellness practice in Newton Massachusetts and they do telemedicine too. (they also do take insurance.) They also have nutritionists people can work with and it is called Five Journeys.
She will be holding a summit on the things we talked about in April 2023. Environmental toxins, autoimmune disease, and chronic disease. All about how to prevent and reverse it, so check out her website to learn more about this and how you can attend.
What is one thing that makes you feel magical?
What lights me up?…. The thing that comes to mind is when I see my kids have a breakthrough in something they have been struggling with and get to that next level of who they are in their performance. That lights me up.
Cracking The Belly Fat Code:
Wendie Trubow Facebook:
Wendie Trubow Instagram: