Today’s blog is a bit different… I’ve talked about my story here and there throughout the years on my podcast, but I have never really given you my whole soup-to-nuts story! So today I am going to tell you how it started, how I began this journey and what I learned along the way. I think it’s so important for you to hear where I came from and what I learned because I know that I am not the ONLY person in the world going through this. I know I am not the only woman struggling with gaining weight and not knowing why. I know I am not the only woman who has experienced hormonal imbalances and a body that just said EF YOU! I am fighting back. It started probably about 10-12 years ago; around the time I stopped doing fitness competitions.. And I had noticed that I just couldn’t get my legs as lean as they used to be able to get. I figured I needed to be more consistent with my food and up weights in the off-season. This is where my headspace was, go harder and do more! November this all started and come January is when I usually start thinking about the year ahead. This is when I got my body fat tested and it came up that I had a little belly fat, which I never had.
- Using Math to Overcome Overeating| 174
- How To Avoid Diet Boredom| 173
- How To Evolve Your Fitness Through The Years|172
- Cracking The Belly Fat Code||1104
- Belly Fat Code Overview| 171
- Hallmark Movies and Dieting?: What do they have in Common| 1028
- Are You Ready To Beat Your All Or Nothing Mindset? | 170
- Fat Loss VS Weight Loss: What's The Difference?|021
- How I Improved My Menopause Story| 167
- Hidden Toxins In Our Bodies Mystery Revealed|168
- What Every Women Should Know About Menopause|167
- Menopause Myths Part 2| 0930
- Do You Want To Know More About Macros| 166
- 8 Common Myths About Menopause Part 1
- What Causes Belly Fat In Women Over 40?|
- What Women Over 40 Ought to Know About Protein| 0916
- Are You Ready To Give Up The Busy Badge? |164
- Do you Want to Know About Unexplained Weight |0909
- 3 Reasons to Stop Trying To Do Everything| 163
- Are You Ready To Let Go Of Control? ||0903
- Do You Need To Press LIfe's Pause Button|162
- What exactly is healthy aging? |161
- Powerlifting It's Easy If You Do It Smart||160
- Are You Ready To Survive The Dog Days Of Summer||0812
- Are You Ready To Find The Courage To Change |159
- Three Powerful Tips for Women Over 40 Who Want to Make a Change| 0805
- Do you want to break from diet culture| 158
- 6 Nutritional Myths That Must Die| 0729
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It Show |156
- 3 Simple Steps to Becoming More Consistent, Over 40|011
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It| 156
- Fitness Lessons I've Learned Over the Years
- How To Avoid The Shame Spiral and Make Peace With Your Body| 155
- What To Do When You Fall Off The Diet Wagon|0708
- 6 Steps To Making A Change In Your Health| 154
- How Long Does It Take To Get Fit?|0701
- Client Testimonial: Thank you for teaching me balance|153
- Are You Working On Your Mindset| 0624
- Do You Know What Brings You Joy?|152
- How Do You Know What To Eat? |6
- How to focus on the little things and get results| 151
- Why Women Over 40 Need To Strength Train| 5
- You Are Enough| 150
- Stress Free Summer Masterclass
- Making Time for Self-Care (Even if you’re Super-Busy
- What To Do When Your Diet Stops Working| 149
- Want To Lose Weight? Manage Your Stress | 0527
- How To Have A Stress Free Summer| 148
- Sleeping the 1st big rock
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Weight | 147
- Are you ready to break up with your diet mindset? |146
- The 4 Steps To Consistency Over 40 | 0506
- 5 tips to get ready for summer over 40| 145
- Consistency Is King Over 40 | 0429
- Why you need mobility and strength| 144
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet | 0422
- Why Are You Really Dieting? | 143
- You Can't Do It On Your Own| 0415
- How To Stop Letting Self Doubt Hold You Back|142
- Stop Trying to Be 30 | 141
- Stop Trying To Be 30 | 5
- The 4 Ms Method | 0327
- The Power of Movement | 0324
- How Exercise Effects Your Metabolism| 0327
- Katie Veazie Strength Training Builds Confidence | 140
- Are You Working Out Too Much? | 4
- Is Self Care Bull Sh*t? | 139
- You don't have to spend hours in the gym to see results! | 2
- Creating A Sustainable Healthy Life Over 40 | 138
- I Must Workout Hard To Get Results
- Workouts Don't Need To Crush You Kim| 137
- Why Do I Feel So Behind
- The Secrets To Getting Better Results With A Coach| 136
- Client Testimonial: The Power of Mindset| 135
- The Power Of A Flexible Metabolism| 134
- How to make exercise a habit Kim | 133
- How To Reset Your Wellness| 132
- Client Testimonial: How To Trust Your Journey| 131
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Can’t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and What To Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
From that point instead of saying, “oh it’s my hormones, I am in my late 30s now”, but instead I thought that this just means that I have to go harder, I have to start crushing it more.
Within the same year, I went to my gynecologist, and they noticed I had some fibroids which we took as why my stomach was distended. I thought ok, yes, I have the answer now! But instead, the answer they gave me was I had to have a traditional hysterectomy. I would have to be out of work for 8-12 weeks and at the time I was just starting my own personal training business. I couldn’t go that long without getting paid. At the time it was casually mentioned that it could be done laparoscopically which would only have me out of work for 30 days. This was a much better option for!
During this time when we were trying to figure out my surgery, the doctors wanted to put me on a hormone medication, Lupron, and I was told that it could cause me to gain up to 30 pounds. Guys, I was 35, I did NOT know what menopause was, I knew nothing about it, and I also knew NOTHING about this drug they wanted me to go on. After being my own advocate I finally found a doctor that agreed to do the surgery laparoscopically.
I thought that this would solve ALL my problems. Three months later I still had a belly.
So, my belly wasn’t just fibroids, it was my hormones! During that 4 weeks I couldn’t work and workout, it caused me to do some reflection. This caused me to sit back and look at where I was spending all my time and how stressed out, I was. In my post operative checkup, I shared with my doctor that I was still feeling bloated and said I am still 10 pounds heavier.
She told me to stop eating sandwiches. Ladies… I knew this wasn’t it because I ate clean, I didn’t eat sandwiches… So, I doubled down at the gym and got even stricter with my food, and 12 months later I was now up, 20 pounds. Something was wrong. I couldn’t eat cleaner or workout harder. What the HELL was going on with my body and why was this happening to me? There had to be something more, I wasn’t about to begin gaining 10 pounds every year and be okay with that!
I did research and found some good mentors. It wasn’t about my nutrition, or my exercise. Part of the reason I was gaining weight was that I wasn’t sleeping. (I slept maybe 6 hours.) I was stressed, I was building a business and I wanted it to be successful overnight! I couldn’t work out the way I used to! I had to say that I can’t work out any harder, I have to figure out how to work SMARTER!
Again, I dove into the research and the research showed it wasn’t about the duration of the workout. If I want something different, I have to do different things. My 2-hour workouts were driving my hunger and my cravings. Trying to squeeze them into my already hectic schedule led to complete and utter BURN OUT. I didn’t like the gym anymore.
I had to think of a way to use my metabolism to change my body composition. How can I use my hormones to work with me, not against me!
My workouts went from 2 hours to 30-45 minutes max. (If I do a 2-hour workout, it’s because I was messing around on my phone or running my mouth! LOL!) If you are making this change, go from 2 hours to [1:45], then 90 minutes. Break it down by 15-minute increments. Then you can start to say it’s the INTENSITY that creates the workout not the DURATION.
Listen to your body. Green day, red day, yellow day. What does your body feel like for that day? My non-negotiable is 3 days a week of 30 minutes of activity. I try to prioritize strength training, and this all depends on how I am feeling that day. Mobility work? A walk? Strength training? It all depends on that day and how my body is feeling.
The next place I looked was my food. I needed to hire someone because clearly a coach is their own worst coach. We don’t see our blind spots. Changing my food was one of the hardest things I did. My hormones were a hot mess at this point. (Hindsight 20/20 my hormones have been knocking on the door for decades!) My doctor wasn’t helping me at this point, so I looked into a functional medicine doctor. She knew my body needed to recover and rest. It takes time and I knew that I had done this to my body for SO long that it was going to take a while to change working with this doctor.
I couldn’t expect a light switch to go on – it was more of a dimmer switch. I also couldn’t supplement myself out of this, and I couldn’t prescribe my lifestyle. I needed to look at my lifestyle and make lifestyle changes!
I had to change my lifestyle and really look at it and what I was doing.
● I had to get better sleep.
● I had to stop being a stress ball! – I really had to change my mindset to manage my stress.
● I had to stop and say, I can only control what I can control.
● I whittled down my to-do list
● I gave myself small mini goals and stopped trying to do ALL the things.
● I had to work on healing my gut, it was such a mess!
● Then we worked on balancing my blood sugar. I was insulin resistant from all of the yo-yo dieting throughout the years.
● I worked on moderation.
● I had to stop being so rigid and resistant as to how things had to look and work.
● I looked at how I was managing my time.
● I looked at the roadblocks I was setting for myself and how I could break through them.
● I had to start letting things go and not hold on to everything!
● I had to create boundaries.
● I just had to release something.. I had to say that this can be easy, it won’t be fast but it can be easier than I am making it to be.
The 2 biggest things I had to work on in that list that was the biggest challenge was sleep and being less stressed. At this point I was so burnt… LITERALLY burnt to a crisp. I just wanted this to be over and done with. This was a process… over several years of working through.
I am still working on my blood sugar; I am still finding the right balance of food for me. I went away from eating 5 meals a day that was too much. I started pushing back meals until I was actually hungry. I had to stop eating by the clock. I had to expand on opening up my diet and have more fasting throughout the day.
Through this process, I knew where I could short circuit and where it happened.
1. We are going to look at your gut.
2. What do your choices look like?
3. What does your exercise look like?
4. What does your commitment look like to your nutrition?
5. Are you a stress ball? Are you sleeping?
6. You have to answer these things. I call it the 3 C’s
a. You have to understand your choices nutritionally & workout wise.
b. Then you have to come up with a code of conduct that you are going to hold yourself too. Not some diet that tells you to do AB&C.
c. What can you do, what are you willing to do to be consistent?
I knew I had to make a change, I couldn’t continue to eat like I was, workout like I was, stress like I was! If I wanted change, I HAD to make changes, I couldn’t sit back and wait for it to naturally happen.
I wanted to share this with you, so you knew where I was coming from and what I was doing. One of the hallmarks for my changes was that I went on a vacation, and I didn’t want to be that girl worrying about everything! So, I did a little experiment. For 30 days I was only working out 3 days a week, 30 minutes or less. I focused on just making sure I added vegetables and protein but didn’t go crazy! And I focused on SLEEPING! After the 30 days I was ONLY up 2 pounds and I honestly think that was just bloating from flying and poop! LOL
Ladies, I was an idiot thinking it was go big or go home for so many years! Let me be the first to tell you that go big or go home is going to bury you. You are going to keep looking in the mirror say IF ONLY. If I only did this… If you only make 1 change… If you are sick and tired of being sick and tired, something has to change!! You can make that change ladies; I know you have it in you! If I was able to do it, then I know that anyone can!
Cracking The Belly Fat Code MASTERCLASS: