I first discovered mason jar meals a few years ago and I’ve been hooked on them ever since. The concept is ideal – a fresh and delicious salad, perfectly preserved in a container that is easily transportable – whatâ€™s not to love!? While many people know what they want from a Mason Jar Salad, buildingÂ the perfect one is not quite as simple as simply filling a jar with whatever you want! Planning your jar is everything! Â Your delicious salad/meal can quickly turn into a soggy mess. You’ll want get jars that are 1/2 gallon or less. Â So how do you make a good one?
You have to put the ingredients in the right way.
- Dressing or sauce goes 1st!
- An ingredient from your salad that wonâ€™t just soak up all your dressing. Carrots are a good choice, Â chickpeas or cherry tomatoes.Â They will keep their own flavors and be a nice barrier between the dressing/sauce and the rest of the salad.
- Now start layering — toss in all the usual salad goodies.
- I like to put my proteins in before I put in the greens
- Keep your green leaves, cheeses or nuts aside, as they will make up the final layer.
Always try to pack each layer tightly. This helps maintain the freshness of the salad. You do it the right way and you’ll keep it fresh for about 3 days in the fridge. Screw your lid on tightly and youâ€™re ready to go. When you are ready to enjoy all this yumminess, shake the jar to mix the and then pour into a bowl.
The key is the layering if you layered right you will have an amazing salad every time!!! Â I love me some mason jar meals. Here’s a site that have a ton that I love!
Have your own recipes that you want to share? Just leave me a comment below!!