This week I challenged myself to come up with 3 things that make me happy every day. I was speaking with one of my clients about this and the one thing that kept bubbling up to the top was me time. I asked her how much ME time to does she have. She said this is it! There 168 hours in 1 week and she only give herself 2 hours with me. I’m flattered, but SERIOUSLY!! That is so SAD!
As I reflect on what makes me happy its ME TIME. I schedule something everyday that is all about ME. There are some many things that I do each day that are about other people, clients, my husband etc. That if I don’t take a few hours out of each day to devote to me I think I’d snap! So why is it that many people can’t seem to crave out some much need me time. I get it, I use to be a workaholic and I could always come up with a reason to work a million hours. Then I got laid off and I came to realization no matter how hard I worked, I still was just a number on a spreadsheet. So… if that was the case, I should have a better balance in my life in my next career endeavor.
So why did it take getting laid off to get that through my thick head. And how do I impress on people the importance of me time. During my FORCED “me time” I started to think about a few things.
- If I could come up with the 3 things that matters most
- my husband, after 15 years of being together, I still LOVE spending time with him, so we make sure that we schedule, yes we schedule time to spend together because we know that it won’t happen automatically.
- my health and fitness. Its not only my passion but who I am. I’d go crazy if I wasn’t able to workout, or do any activity that I planned to try
- travel — my husband and I love to travel and have a long list of places that we want to go
- The other thing that I was to get rid of unnecessary activities. What does that mean’ I stopped doing things that I didn’t want to, I started removing the busy work and started to embrace relaxing and being comfortable with doing nothing.
- Create private time and protect it. Just as a I said my husband and I scheduled time to spend together its scared. We don’t break our dates with each other.
- Get help so that you can get more me time. I have a cleaning lady that comes 2x a month. This allows me and husband not to spend our weekends cleaning and scrubbing the floors well work the price of admission
- Another schedule. Schedule in some fun. It doesn’t have to be this crazy thing. Just sitting on the couch watching a movie, doing a cross word puzzle and just taking a walk. Just schedule something that makes you happy.
This week’s challenge was awesome! Next week’s challenge is going to be a tough one. Because no matter how I’m feeling I’m suppose to put a smile on my face. I am charged with faking it until I make it happen. Given that I wear my heart on my sleeve and can get fired up because its Tuesday this is going to be a challenge, but I am up for it.