I am coming at you with another blog and podcast about STRENGTH TRAINING¦. Yeah, can you tell that I am passionate about it and believe in it that much!?? Strength training is one of the most underutilized ways to boost metabolism and has soooo many misconceptions about it! But what if I was to tell you that you could burn more calories than normal while at rest? So much, so that when you did exercise, you would have a higher basal metabolic rate and you will naturally burn more calories! And the best way I know how to do this is strength training.
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Canâ€™t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and WhatÂ ToÂ Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
To get started, you actually have to pick up heavier weights. No, not the 3-5 pound weights my 99-year-old grandmother uses, but the ones heavier than 5 pounds. And stop right there girl, NO you are not going to get bulky by reaching for a heavier weight, that is a HUGE myth.
So what DOES Strength Training do you ask if not make you â
Helps to boost your metabolism
- Helps you to get that lean sexy physique
- Helps alleviate stress, anxiety & depression
- Helps to build stronger bones â€“ When you lift weights, the muscle pulls on the bone and the more it pulls on the bone, the stronger your body gets!
- Helps you to burn more calories at rest!
- You will burn calories up to 72 hours longer after you have lifted than you will on any piece of cardio equipment.
Now that we know what it all does, let me break down the myths about strength training and let you know what to really believe! And people, these are questions I get asked all the time, so listen up!
Myth number 1, Weightlifting will make you bulky
Unless your body is PUMPING with testosterone, you ARE NOT going to get bulky! It is physically impossible. Men put on more muscle because they have so much testosterone, women, not so much UNLESS you are taking something to increase your testosterone in your body.
Instead, weightlifting is going to accentuate your feminine form, so you develop long sexy muscles without it being an excess of fat that makes you look bulky.
In order to get the full benefits of lifting, you need to challenge your muscles. If you can perform 15 or more reps with the same amount of weight without the last few reps feeling challenging to lift up, then you need to up the weights. The goal is to break down those muscles so that they can build the muscle back up.
Myth number 2, If I stop lifting weights, the muscle will turn to fat
LADIES!!!! There is no biological process in your body that says when this happens do that. Especially when it comes to turning the muscle to fat. This. Does. Not. Happen! Yes, muscle shrinks when not being built, so when they shrink, they may not have that same visible look as when they are fully used, but they will never turn to fat. Trust me, they are still there
Don’t get me wrong though, as we age, yes! Absolutely we lose muscle, but it’s not turning into fat, it’s just flabby muscle. Undeveloped, muscle fibers are actually what you are seeing when this happens. But if we continue to lift in a regular fashion, you will be able to keep up the pace with nature. So, if you are lifting anywhere from 2-4 times a week, this would be awesome and would do wonders for your body!
Myth number 3, You’re likely to get hurt lifting weights
If you are physically active on a regular basis, yes, you are highly likely to pull something or strain something. Absolutely. But as we get older our balance starts to not be what it is used to and did you know that every 11 seconds an older person is treated in the ER for a fall and falls cause serious injury. Mainly because their balance isn’t what it used to be, but if you strength trained this will help with your balance tremendously.
When I first started training, I went to a seminar and the woman giving the seminar was 75 and it was all about balance. The #1 reason that takes people 80 and above out of the game falls. So now is the time to start building bulletproof balance, so you are not playing catch up in your 80s. I say this so we can start working on this balance and stability and that comes from core exercise! Not crunches, but single-leg exercises.
Can I stand solidly on one foot, can I feel my core engage, my glutes engage, the muscles in my leg?
Your real focus when thinking about falls and working on your balance is wanting to be able to pick yourself up after you fall.Â So, you want to be strong enough to do this.
Myth number 4, YOU’LL LOOK LIKE A DUDE!
Omg, I will tell you again! We do not have testosterone in our bodies to do this!! But guess what, if If you did, you sure as hell would know!! So, what you will do is strength train so you are able to get up off the bathroom floor if you fall! Lift a gallon of milk out of your refrigerator. Lift yourself from a seating position without using a standing apparatus. These are all real-life things that I want to be able to do as I age, and I know strength training will help me with this.
Myth number 5, I need to do a ton of Cardio and lose the weight before I lift.
Yes, cardio is important, and I want you to have a healthy heart, but muscle is more metabolically active! Those calories that you want to burn are going to burn for LONGER when you strength train, vs cardio.
Think about it like this. Cardio is like a gas stove, you turn on the gas the flame goes right up. I turn off the gas, the flame goes away. Now strength training is like an electric stove. I turn it on, and I get that burner red hot. I turn it off and I can’t touch that burner because my hand will burn! That is strength training. It takes your body longer to â cool down. This will burn calories AND Fat for as much as 72 hours post-workout!
So that is why it is so important to strength train so that you can burn that fat and calories for longer. Keep things fresh and switch it up to keep it excited!! Try out different lower intensity workouts, higher intensity workouts, and mid-range workouts. And then join me on Instagram every Friday for a fat-burning Friday to add to your routine!
Listen, I know times can be challenging right now with money and trying to find weights! Strength training can get expensive if we are trying to do it from our own home, so you have to try and improvise! If you don’t have weights, try filling up old water jugs with sand or cat litter and lift those as your weights. And bodyweight is free! There are so many great exercises to do with your body weight and it’s, not all freaking burpees. But if you aren’t creative, it’s ok!! Hit me up and I can help you make a fast and furious home gym!!
Another option, if you do have time to get out of the house, try a gym like Planet Fitness to get your workouts in. They are inexpensive and you won’t have to buy or make any weights!
This is one thing within my Fit Girl Magic Society is that that one of my guiding principles is that every exercise I give has to have a HOME option! So, you can do it at home or in the gym because I know a lot of you have kids and you are home right now, so you may not be able to scoot out of the house. I got you, don’t worry!!
I hear excuses all of the time when it comes to working out and one of them is that It takes too long to get results.But that really all depends on what you are looking for!
Strength training is like cooking. When you follow the recipe, you are going to get the results you are looking for. So, when you feed your body plenty of protein, lift regularly, and gradually up the weights you lift, results will come. They won’t come Amazon Prime fast, but you will see them happen within a few weeks and that is if 80% of the time you are consistent with everything, diet, workout, etc.
Start light at 3-4 times a week, eat a balanced diet, and make the best food choices and the results will come. But remember, you have to do something consistently to see results.
Another excuse I don’t have time I know, I hear it all the time, I do not have time. Homeschooling, caring for elderly parents, commuting, something that takes up time.
But I am not asking for a 2-hour workout! My workouts are anywhere from 20-60 minutes. That is it, but you can see results working out justÂ 20-30 minutes 3-4 times a week.
One way to get the workout in is to do 3-4 10-minute workouts throughout the day! Jump rope, kettlebell swings, push-ups, wall squat. Those little things add up over time. And put workouts in the calendar and make it like an appointment that you cannot break! You can do this! You have time and you can totally squeeze in 20-30 minutes a day 3-4 times a week! I know you can because you can do anything magic makers!
If you have any questions hit me up! I would love to help you get moving on this! Also in January, I will be starting a strength training challenge and you are hearing it here first!! So, join in with us in this challenge and not only have some accountability but work alongside women going through exactly what you are right now! Join the waitlist right here.
Strength training is what is really going to help to build out muscle, help us when we age to fight that aging process, and help us to look in the mirror and be like Heyyyy how you doing!??? So grab those weights and get to lifting girl!!!
Hit me up on the socials if this podcast resonated with you or you not believe that strength training is the keyyyy!!
Guilt Free Summer Guide https://kimbarnesjefferson.lpages.co/gfsummerv2
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/FabFitSquad
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fitgirlmagic/