There are plenty of nights that I just don’t want to cook! I know those nights that it would be so easy to just Â order pizza, but with a little preparation you can always be ready with a hot and healthy meal! Let’s take the stress out of dinner! Your crockpot will become your new bestie!!!
The basic idea of this recipe is that you put most of the ingredients in a freezer bag and freeze it until you’re ready toÂ use it. You’ll toss it in a crock pot and just a liquid. I’m in love with my crock pot. I typically make 1-2 meals/week in it. It just simple and easy and dinner is ready without any muss or fuss.
I typically have a few of these in the freezer on those occasions that I travel so my husband has quick and easy meals and when we do go on vacation and I can’t hit the grocery store we at least have a few meals to eat until I can hit the grocery store.
Tip: Write the cooking instruction on the bag so you don’t forget how to prepare the frozen meal!
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms
- 3 sliced carrots ( you can use the bagged shredded make it 1/2c)
- 3 pieces of celery, sliced
- 1 diced white onion
- 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 cup uncooked barley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp pepper
- Â¼ tsp chili powder
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken broth
** I’ve added uncooked chicken breast to this and after 8 hours, I’ve pulled out the chicken breast and shredded them. You can also add in other protein to the this recipe. Just pick proteins that can withstand 8 hours in the crock pot. Most fishes can’t handle that much time without being overcooked mush.
[Tweet “Put all of the ingredients in a bag and freeze for when a day you don’t have time to cook dinner!”]
- Put all of the ingredients besides the broth in a large freezer bag. No need to mix or anything.
- Label the bag with the rest of the instructions.
- When ready to eat, pour into the slow cooker along with 2 quarts of broth.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.