What truly makes a good workout’‘ I get asked this question allllll the dang time! As soon as someone finds out that I am a personal trainer, they always ask me what is a good workout, then proceed to tell me all these things they do right now! And I hear all of it! I don’t think a good workout is good unless I am sore!’ Or I have to work out at a certain time in the day.’ Or A good workout is if I can’t move the next day. Raise of hands if this has been you!!‘ But what research is showing, is that WE DON’T have to kill ourselves in the gym 10, 12, 14 hours a week. That is INSANE!‘ And if this, is you, you may want to rethink that!
- How Can Vitamin D Transform Your Life|216
- What Every Menopausal Women Needs to Know About Strength Training|216
- Should You Do the 75 Hard Show |215
- How to track your menopause journey |214
- How To Deal with Grief |213
- Are you enjoying your weight loss process| 212
- Are You Done with Procrastination| 211
- Are you ready to break up with diet culture|210
- Menopause: Your Top Questions Answered | 209
- What Everyone Must Know About DIET CULTURE AND MID-LIFE|208
- Are You Failing For These 8 Common Weight loss Pitfalls|207
- Unlocking Wellness at 40+: What Lab Tests Are Essential for Optimal Health|206
- What you need to know about the Effects of Alcohol After 40 |205
- What women need to know about Alzheimer's|204
- 5 Things Keeping The Weight On|203
- What Every Woman Needs To Know About Hashimoto’s |202
- I need To Focus On These 5 Things To Change My Body|201
- I Was An OverExerciser||0526
- How To Be Your Own Success Story| 200
- Do you want a guilt-free summer?|199
- What Every Woman Ought To Know About Gut Health| 198
- Are You Ready To Be Consistent? |197
- Are You Ready To Nail The Diet Basics?| 196
- It's time to stop hating your body |195
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet|194
- How To Successfully Deal With Stress|193
- The Power of Atomic Habits| 192
- Is Sugar A Really Big Deal? | 191
- Are you looking to master self-discipline? |190
- What You Ought To Know About Hypnosis|189
- 10 Weight Loss Mistakes Over 40 You Are Making| 188
- Are you ready to make consistent progress towards your goals| 187
- Are you looking to improve your brain fog? | 186
- The Secrets To Practical Stress Management |185
- The secret to weight loss success stop trying to be perfect|184
- 7 Ways To Build Self Discipline|183
- Discover The Secret To Setting Strong Boundaries|182
- How to Handle Adrenal Fatigue| 180
- Are You Ready To Beat Stress and Overwhelm in 2023?| 181
- Are You Making These Weight Loss Mistakes| 179
- How to Fall In Love With Your Over 40 Body| 178
- Do You Need A Health Reset?| 177
- Simple Mindset Tactics That Help You Lose Weight |176
- 3 Reasons Why You Feel Stuck| 175
- Using Math to Overcome Overeating| 174
- How To Avoid Diet Boredom| 173
- How To Evolve Your Fitness Through The Years|172
- Cracking The Belly Fat Code||1104
- Belly Fat Code Overview| 171
- Hallmark Movies and Dieting?: What do they have in Common| 1028
- Are You Ready To Beat Your All Or Nothing Mindset? | 170
- Fat Loss VS Weight Loss: What's The Difference?|021
- How I Improved My Menopause Story| 167
- Hidden Toxins In Our Bodies Mystery Revealed|168
- What Every Women Should Know About Menopause|167
- Menopause Myths Part 2| 0930
- Do You Want To Know More About Macros| 166
- 8 Common Myths About Menopause Part 1
- What Causes Belly Fat In Women Over 40?|
- What Women Over 40 Ought to Know About Protein| 0916
- Are You Ready To Give Up The Busy Badge? |164
- Do you Want to Know About Unexplained Weight |0909
- 3 Reasons to Stop Trying To Do Everything| 163
- Are You Ready To Let Go Of Control? ||0903
- Do You Need To Press LIfe's Pause Button|162
- What exactly is healthy aging? |161
- Powerlifting It's Easy If You Do It Smart||160
- Are You Ready To Survive The Dog Days Of Summer||0812
- Are You Ready To Find The Courage To Change |159
- Three Powerful Tips for Women Over 40 Who Want to Make a Change| 0805
- Do you want to break from diet culture| 158
- 6 Nutritional Myths That Must Die| 0729
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It Show |156
- 3 Simple Steps to Becoming More Consistent, Over 40|011
- What is Accountability and Why Do You Need It| 156
- Fitness Lessons I've Learned Over the Years
- How To Avoid The Shame Spiral and Make Peace With Your Body| 155
- What To Do When You Fall Off The Diet Wagon|0708
- 6 Steps To Making A Change In Your Health| 154
- How Long Does It Take To Get Fit?|0701
- Client Testimonial: Thank you for teaching me balance|153
- Are You Working On Your Mindset| 0624
- Do You Know What Brings You Joy?|152
- How Do You Know What To Eat? |6
- How to focus on the little things and get results| 151
- Why Women Over 40 Need To Strength Train| 5
- You Are Enough| 150
- Stress Free Summer Masterclass
- Making Time for Self-Care (Even if you’re Super-Busy
- What To Do When Your Diet Stops Working| 149
- Want To Lose Weight? Manage Your Stress | 0527
- How To Have A Stress Free Summer| 148
- Sleeping the 1st big rock
- How To Talk To Your Kids About Weight | 147
- Are you ready to break up with your diet mindset? |146
- The 4 Steps To Consistency Over 40 | 0506
- 5 tips to get ready for summer over 40| 145
- Consistency Is King Over 40 | 0429
- Why you need mobility and strength| 144
- You Can't Always Be On A Diet | 0422
- Why Are You Really Dieting? | 143
- You Can't Do It On Your Own| 0415
- How To Stop Letting Self Doubt Hold You Back|142
- Stop Trying to Be 30 | 141
- Stop Trying To Be 30 | 5
- The Power of Movement | 0324
- How Exercise Effects Your Metabolism| 0327
- The 4 Ms Method | 0327
- Katie Veazie Strength Training Builds Confidence | 140
- Are You Working Out Too Much? | 4
- Is Self Care Bull Sh*t? | 139
- You don't have to spend hours in the gym to see results! | 2
- Creating A Sustainable Healthy Life Over 40 | 138
- I Must Workout Hard To Get Results
- Workouts Don't Need To Crush You Kim| 137
- Why Do I Feel So Behind
- The Secrets To Getting Better Results With A Coach| 136
- Client Testimonial: The Power of Mindset| 135
- The Power Of A Flexible Metabolism| 134
- How to make exercise a habit Kim | 133
- How To Reset Your Wellness| 132
- Client Testimonial: How To Trust Your Journey| 131
- What Makes A Great Fitness Coach| 130
- Are You Ready To Stop Making These Nutrition Mistakes? |129
- The 10 Fitness Mistakes You are Making| 128
- Client Testimonial: I finally had a weight loss strategy|127
- It's possible to have balance in life| 126
- 6 keys to struggle free weight loss| 125
- How To Find Your Blind Spots |124
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Can’t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and What To Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
Research shows that 150 minutes a week of working out is a good workout! And this is research comes from the the ACSM! So, you can take that 150 minutes a week and spread it out however you want, or do 2-3 hour long sessions a week. Whatever works with your schedule! But I am here to tell you that you can do this, and these guidelines are something MOST of us can meet! So why arent more of us doing it’
Let’s jump into it and break down the basics and how you can start getting your 150 minutes in per week starting now!
For me back in the day, if my workout wasnt 2 hours in 1 day, it was crap! And I know that many people feel that way right now! So, if that is you, you can’t take a day off and your day off is yoga, keep listening so you can start to listen to your body. Because you may be doing too much, and it could be stopping you from getting the results you want. I know. I know.. 150 minutes seems so small to some people, but that is ok! This is for people who are just getting started or can’t be consistent! It is a great way to make working out attainable!
Alright, let’s focus on what makes a good workout!‘ We don’t have to do HARD CHALLENGING stuff to get the results we want.‘ A workout DOES NOT, I repeat, DOES NOT have to be soul crushing!!‘ As a trainer, I am looking for what is going to get the best adherence to consistency, because my main focus is how can I help you to become consistent.‘ The gym should not be your second job! And your workouts don’t need to be fancy. Always remember that the basics still work, and they can still get you great results!
The Basics: (just think of things that you are doing and can do every day.)
- Squat – everyday movement, getting off the toilet!
- Deadlift – Picking something up off the floor, knees slightly bent.
- Lunging – Kneeling down with 1 leg to pick something up from the floor.
- Pulling – Pulling something down from the cabinet.
- Pressing – I am pushing a drawer closed in on my dresser.
- Rows ‘ I am picking something up off the floor with my back.
These are all foundational movements because this is what we do in life!! Those movements work and these are all you have to do!‘ And I love these basics because they allow for me and the client to see progression during our time together.
And we can see that progression through our programming together.‘ The programming is every 4 to 8 weeks and this is what we have found to be the sweet spot for when we need to change up our workouts.‘ It’s become a very popular thing amongst people that every day our workout changes. (We can thank Crossfit for this.) ”””””’‘But we see the adherence when we do the same thing over and over again, and then we add weights or something onto that to switch it up a bit.‘ So, if you are just getting started, just think about the golden number as doing your workouts 3 times a week. We want to be there 3-5 times a week, but 3 is a good starting place.
Let’s look at this in the Good, Better, Best that I love so much!‘ So for example, for me, for the most part I can work out 5 days a week. (Best week) But’ Sometimes life happens and I get 4 days in that week. (Better week) Some days I may go away or get sick or have meetings and I do 3 days. (good week) I know this will happen sometimes, so I NEVER beat myself up about it! I am constantly living with what is possible!‘ I know what works with my life, so can you keep the pace’
Remember your REPS formula when it comes to this and planning your workouts.
- Is it REALISTIC’
- Are you EXCITED about it’
- Can you make a PLAN for it’
- Is it SUSTAINABLE’
If it doesn’t answer one of those 4 questions, you have to revisit the plan you are on!
How do I mix up my workouts’
Frequency – How many times a week are you going to the gym’ That Is how much you can mix it up.
Intensity – Increasing my weight’ What is the load’ (Always with good form of course.)
Volume – The number of exercises that you have in your program. Plus, the number of sets that you are doing.
You want to start off with 5 exercises and 3-5 sets.‘ Whatever you are more comfortable with.‘ And you want to always rest between workouts. If you are lifting heavy stuff, then that time of rest will go up during your workouts.
Challenge yourself with workouts by changing up my time under tension. This is how much time it takes you to lift and lower the weight.‘ Then you can change the position of your feet and hands to make little subtle changes to manipulate the work to get different angles and muscles.
REP Range – Research says 6-10 reps is our sweet spot!‘ My programming goes around that range as I progress people through the program.‘ Lower REP ranges, I can lift heavier. Every REP range has its place. All high and low REP counts have a place.‘ A place where you can see progress!
How do I personalize my work out’
How do I make this me’ We have to focus on form, range of motion and mobility. Mobility will be your bread and butter! No one wants a cranky lower back.‘ We have a life. What can you prioritize in our workouts that works best for us’
If looking to get smaller or stronger, strength training is the way to go!! Strength training is a priority. If I have 3 hours a week to work out, I am going to work on metabolic combos!‘ And that is strength training and cardio brought together. P.S’ Kettlebell training is great for this! I have so many workout recommendations for this!! So, you will want to check out my Fat Burning Fridays over on the socials and you will see a number of workouts done for over 5 years that you can get some inspiration from!
If you are working out for 3-5 hours a week, you are going to want to focus on strength training. 3 days of full-strength training. Strength training, HIIT of 30 minutes or less.
If you have 5 or 6 hours a week to workout, add in 3-5 days for lifting, adding HIIT and adding in leisure walking.‘ Walking is paramount because this will help regulate our hormones and help us with our stress management!‘ Walking is exercise! And my walks are my godsend!
For fat loss, focus on strength training, walking and cardio. Looking to build muscle, focus on strength training with a small dose of cardio!
But when it all comes down to it, exercise is great, but we always have to look at our diet!‘ Jack LaLanne said it best, ‘Nutrition is queen and exercise is king!’ When the queens are not happy, no one is happy!
I do want to take a minute to talk about Energy.‘ And how can we look at our energy levels and how that determines what the workout looks like for the day’ The biggest thing is to listen to your body!‘ So here are some ways to determine how you are feeling, what your day is like and how your workouts will be.
- You feel amazing!!
- You got a good night’s sleep.
- Can do the workout and lift heavy.
- Go sprinting.
- May spend more time at the gym because you just feel good.
- You feel Mehhh
- May feel a little beat up or sore.
- You may be coming off a green day and thought you’d be an incredible hulk.
- Slow and steady.
- Less intense.
- Longer rests between sets.
- Many people are just like I need to go with my will power, my motivation and discipline.
- You feel burnt out and sore.
- Why are we doing this’
- Recover day’
- Stretching, walking, foam rolling, mobility work.
- Slow movements not 110 degrees!
Modulate with red, green, yellow and how you are feeling daily.
I have’ been told by a client they feel orange most days, so what does this mean’
This tells me you are overtraining’ especially if you feel this all the time!
It’s not always about going big or going home, it’s about how I am feeling today!
Checking in with your body is so important. Tuning in with your body and stop pushing yourself up this mountain every day!‘ Think about what this looks like’
If you are someone who regularly works out 7 days a week and 2 are a yoga class or spin class, can I stop for 1 day and take a walk’ It’s an experiment. See how you feel with that! Just please remember that you don’t always need to press the go button to save results!‘ If you are at a 7-day pace and you are consistently not seeing results, sometimes it’s a matter of making a change to do less or check on your nutrition and see what that is like! That way you can do less or overworking your body and do more of seeing results and giving yourself some grace!
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/kbjefferson
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fitgirlmagic/
Reboot and Refocus for all the women who feel like they’ve been dieting forever and can’t do it any more. The focus here is all about how do you reboot your mindset so you are no longer chasing your tail trying to lose weight.