A few weeks ago, we talked about stress and how it is affecting our bodies and ways to work through it. This week, we are diving into anxiety and how you may be living with High Functioning Anxiety and not even know it, and ways to work through it so that it doesn’t take over your life! Anxiety can cripple us, and sometimes we have no idea where to even start in working through it or treating it at all, so I brought on Dr. Laura Gouge onto this week’s podcast to help answer tons of questions that I have that I think you, the listeners, will have as well!
- Client Testimonial -- How To Find Your Blind Spots |123
- Secrets To Crushing Your Weight Loss Goals| 122
- Is it Possible To Eat In Moderation| 121
- What Every Women Ought To Know About ANXIETY| 120
- Focus on Process Goals To Get What You Want
- 10 Days To Reboot and Refocus -- Creating a Wellness Vision
- What Makes A Great Workout For Women Over 40 | 119
- Client testimonial Staying Fit For Life| 118
- You can be stress free even if you are a stress ball|117
- Strategy: The Secret To Weight Loss| 116
- The Secret To Finding Your Happiness| 115
- Client Testimonial: Even Coaches Need A Coach|114
- Are You Ready To Improve Your Sex Life | 113
- Accountability Is The Key To Weight Loss Success|112
- Tips About AGING PARENTS You Need To Know| 111
- Client testimonial: Are you ready to have more energy? |110
- Are You Ready To Become Consistent With Your Health| 109
- Are You Ready To Dominate Your Weight Loss Fundamentals| 108
- Changing Your Mindset Can Help You Easily Lose Weight|107
- Setting boundaries is the key to finding balance| 106
- Are You Ready To Take Control Of Your Struggling Marriage| 105
- are you ready to focus on your weight loss| 104
- Here's What To Do To Build Confidence, Faith and Belief|103
- Why You Need To Practice Patience To Achieve Your Goals|102
- If You Hate Cooking Its Time To Start Creating Automatic Meals|101
- There Will Always Be Challenges To Overcome| 100
- Are You Ready To Get Out Of Your Own Way| 99
- Start Losing Weight Taking These 2 Steps|98
- Here is What You Should Do For Injury Prevention |97
- You're About To Discover The Keys to Sustainable Weight Loss|96
- Breathwork It's Easy If You Do Just Start | 95
- Are You Ready To Bust Your Weight Loss Plateau? |94
- The Secrets Your Fitness Personality Reveal About How To Lose Weight |93
- There are 5 stages to change your unhealthy behaviors| 92
- Weight Loss Principles Are Easy If You Just Do It Smart|91
- To Women Over 40 Who Want To Beat Life Challenges But Can't Get Started |90
- What Every Women Needs to Know About Toxic Relationships|89
- Who Else Wants To Be Consistent With Their Health? |88
- How a 40 something quickly and easily loses weight| 87
- How do You Shift Your Hardcore Fitness Identity| 86
- How Your Mindset Improves Your Body|85
- Your Key To Fitness Success: Movement| 84
- are your healthy living rules are affecting your progress| 83
- Are You Ready For A Mindset Overhaul?| 82
- Yes You Can Learn To Eat Intuitively | 81
- How to Really Start To Use Accountability For Your Health|80
- The Secrets To Tracking Your Food | 79
- Who Else Wants To Be Successful With TALKING TO Their DAUGHTER about dieting | 78
- To Women Who Want To Lose Weight But Canâ€™t' Get Started| 76
- Who else wants to balance their hormones naturally | 76
- What's One Thing I Wish I Knew When I Started Working Out |75
- Boost Your Habits With These Tips
- Do You Want To Eat A More Plant Based Diet| 74
- Are You Ready To Reset Your Wellness | 72
- Are you tired of overeating? Do You want to find food freedom? | 72
- Don't Just Sit There Start using these 4 Pillars Of Weight Loss|70
- How To Do Self Care And Not Feel Guilty| 70
- Strength Training Myths Women Over 40 Need To Stop Believing| 69
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Pelvic Floor? | 68
- Here's What Every 40-Something Needs To Know About Strength Training| 67
- The Secret To Overcoming Adversity| 66
- Crush Your Cravings
- How To Create A Healthy Routine In A New Normal | 64
- Who Else Wants To Know The Mystery Behind Self Trust| 63
- Ways to change your behavior that virtually no one knows about|62
- Alcohol and Weight Loss How To Keep It Simple |61
- Healing Your Relationship With Food | 60
- Can you jumpstart your metabolism| 59
- Quick and Easy Ways To Beat Burnout | 58
- Why Your Really Need Courage | 57
- The Power Of A Daily Routine| 56
- You Are Your Habits | 55
- Stop Spinning Your Wheels And Start Practicing Patience|54
- The Secrets To Living A Lean Life | 53
- Adults Friends Made Easy What You Need To Know| 51
- What Does Taking Radical Responsibility Really Mean| 51
- Are You Ready to Get and Keep Your Fitness Motivation?|50
- Are You Ready To Break Up With Overtraining? |49
- Apply These Techniques To Increase Your Hydration | 48
- You Are Divorced Now What | 47
- Are You Ready To Have A Good Night Sleep | 45
- What The Heck Are Essential Oils|44
- The Best Ways to Streamline Your Nutrition |42
- What You Need to Know About Meal Prep| 46
- 10 Habits Holding You Back From Success| 42
- What You Need To Know About Self Discipline |41
- Don't Be Fooled You Do Need An Estate Plan | 40
- What You Really Need To Know About Self-Care | 39
- Is it time to question your relationship with alcohol | 38
- how to easily get your act together and be healthy|37
- How To Dethrone Your Inner Mean Girl | 36
- How It's Possible To Be Healthier In 90 Days |35
- Why REPS Is The Only Skill You Really Need| 34
- Want A Healthier Life? Focus On Mindset | 33
- How To Break Up With Body and Food Obsession | 32
- How To Explore Spirituality |31
- 9 Reasons Why You Are Stuck and WhatÂ ToÂ Do About It| 30
- Are You Ready To Stop Dating Mr. Wrong | 29
- Apply These Tips To Master Your Nutrition | 28
- The Power Of Quality Movement | 27
- 4 Alternatives To Dieting |26
- How To Own Your Body and Your Style | 25
- Are You Ready For Life To Feel Effortless | 24
- Creating A Wellness Vision That Gets Results | 23
- How To Start Keeping It Real | 22
- The Ugly Truth About The Pill | 21
- Easy Ways to CRUSH the Year End Slump| 20
- How To Follow Your Travel Dreams
- Secrets To Beginning Exercise Quickly And Efficiently | 18
- Who Else Wants To Figure Out Menopause | 16
- Now You Can Discover Secret Ways To Stop Stressing That You Won't Hear Anywhere Else | 15
- To Women Who Want To Learn Healthy Discipline | 14
- A New Way To Create Success | 13
- Want Big Results Build Small Healthy Habits | 12
- 7 Steps To Getting Healthy And Staying On Track
- Food Has No Control Over You | 10
- Are You Ready To Pay Off Debt Without Struggling?
- To Women Who Want To Live More Mindfully, But Can't Get Started | 8
- What Every Momma Needs To Know About Being An Empty Nester | 7
- The Secret To Effortless Weightloss Revealed | 6
- To Women Who Are Too Busy To Get Healthy | 5
- What Every Women Ought To Know About Moderation | 4
- Discover The Secrets To Healing Metabolic Damage with Natalie Newhart |3
- Easiest Way To Create Lasting Habits | 2
- What is Fit Girl Magic
- Being a Healthy 40 Something Today with Esther Blum|1
- LIve Coaching Call: Food Teleconference
- Fabulous Fit Squad Book Review -- Why Diets Are Failing Us
- 50 Ways to Soothe Without Food
- Little Book Of Thin -- Fabulous Fit Squad
- Can I Be A Yummy Mummy?
- Hungry For Change
- Fabulous Fit Squad -- Cavewomen Don't Get Fat
- Book Review: Crazy Sexy Diet
Dr. Laura Gouge is a licensed naturopathic physician and she strives to create a holistic, innovative, and thoughtful treatment plan for each patient.
When you think of anxiety, we think it is like what is on tv with a massive heart attack and not being able to function, falling to the ground with a panic attack all day every day. But that is not always the case! People have some level of fear and anxiety daily. Some people struggle with it more severely than others. And some push through their days with never stopping because they have High Functioning Anxiety, and this can completely burn them out!
How do you define High Functioning Anxiety?
We want to look at anxiety as a spectrum. 100% of us have experienced anxiety at some point because it is a normal emotion!! We have fears and worries about what if something goes wrong. And it can be normal, say you have a big flight, or an interview etc. That would be towards the lower part of the spectrum.
Towards the higher end of that spectrum would be the more severe pathological anxiety disorders where someone is having an impairment in the quality of their life and the symptoms are severe enough that it causes a problem in their life. These would be diagnosable anxiety disorders.
Then there is high functioning anxiety. This is somewhere around the middle of the spectrum. It does not necessarily have a medical diagnosis but it’s very common and a lot of people don’t even know that they are living with this. So here is a list of some of the traits with High Functioning Anxiety.
● Type A type personality
● Very cool calm and put together
● Often are going to be early, helpful, charming, talkative
● Say yes when they mean no. People pleaser
● Underneath that exterior, often people are racked with tension and worry and most people in their life don’t know they have this
● Adult temper tantrum. Have a breakdown if one thing goes wrong and you just have a breakdown. A lot of times there is anxiety underneath that.
● May not get enough sleep
● Slow burn of anxiety under the surface all day long.
● You are going to be dripping out stress hormones all day long so you may have more frequent tension headaches, or stomach and digestive issues
Can you have one with the other? (Stress and anxiety)
As you can see, there are a lot of overlaps in stress and anxiety symptoms. And both can cause short term issues (insomnia) and lead to more long-term issues. (High blood pressure, heart disease.) But yes, you can have them separately because a lot of us have stress. But we see the overlap because a lot of us tend to us the wrong words when defining what we are experiencing.
We may feel anxious, but it is manifesting from an external stressor. And for most people, stress is something external…. Something is causing you to make every action.
Where anxiety is not always our fault. Our brain is wired in a specific way. I am taking something and giving meaning to it that I am not doing XYZ. We all have different thresholds of anxiety because it is our body responding to certain things and certain situations. And like with stress this is where mindset can help with anxiety as well.
Our mindset is so huge. We have to meet those catastrophe thoughts with curiosity.
And just asking ourselves, “Is this really true, what other possibilities can happen here?”
Remind ourselves of all the good things that can happen! And I know that it is easier for us to believe the negative instead of the positive, we are all human. But we have to continue to tell ourselves good positive thoughts when in these situations.
I want you to think of mental health like fitness in so many ways. We are never done. We need to get into a balance, then we need to maintain balance!
“As a doctor, my goal is that my patients don’t need me anymore. But there will always be a maintenance level and they will have to come back for that maintenance.”
We may start to get out of balance and that is such an important thing to remember. Because again, we are human! And humans are not perfect, and we need to continue to work on ourselves as we get older. So often with our mindset we think, oh no we are back sliding and get perfectionistic. And we can’t do that. We have to say the pendulum will swing and it’s my job to get back into balance! And you can get this by working with a coach or a doctor, or whoever can help you with these feelings!
How can I start to “just relax”?
Listen… no one has felt better with anxiety being told to just relax! But there are ways that we can work through and master our stress and anxiety and those are the 6 M’s! These 6 M’s will look at 6 areas that are worked on with Laura.
● Mindset – awareness of when we are spiraling with anxiety and stress. Refrain with curiosity and explanation.
● Mindfulness – goes with mindset.
● Macronutrients – are we making sure people are getting adequate protein, carbs, fiber, right types of fat. And Micronutrition – some may be experiencing poor stress and anxiety.
● Movement – how we move our bodies. Is it serving us? Is it too little or too much? Find the right movement for you.
● Mastering daily habits – look at how we are spending our time and tending to our self-care. Are we getting outdoors and creating relationships that are meaningful to us?
Medicine – working with a coach or doctor, and that can be anywhere from supplements to pharmaceutical medications. In addition to these 6 M’s, Laura also recommends coaching and therapy as well.
Life moves through these things. We are all in different seasons in our life. Apply acceptance to those different seasons and situations and give yourself grace as you are moving through these steps and moving through this season in your life. By doing this, our lives would be less stressful. Accepting something doesn’t mean you have to love it; you just have to say this is how it is right now…. And that it may not always be this way.
Define what the other side looks like.. This can be so difficult when you are in the moment, and it may never get better especially with our mental health. It’s not like one day anxiety just disappears. Gradual transition of more sunny days, more days of honoring my appetite (if you are stressing overeating, etc.) See a progressive improvement but still may be backslides. That is ok. But see more and more until all of a sudden you haven’t done something in 6 months! Or this stressful thing happened, and I am fine with it when it did occur!
And you know what… Keep showing up. It can feel scary if we don’t get results right away but keep trying and moving forward and I know you will get there. One step at a time! It is ok to feel stuck but keep looking towards the other side and continue to work on yourself!
I am stuck in High Functioning Anxiety but know that I have to do 500 things and it has to be A++. How do I even get started if this sounds like someone listening? Or if I want to get started?
Start with.. DO I WANT IT TO BE DIFFERENT? Why am I choosing this? A simple question that can be helpful if you are that person doing 1 million things. Not HOW do I manage my time better. But WHAT is my relationship to rest in space? As a society, we felt for so long that we had to earn rest and we didn’t have the right to it. It’s a myth that we will always be all caught up on everything. There is always something. But guess what, if we did get caught up we would feel tremendous anxiety not knowing what to do!
We can set little deadlines for ourselves to maximize what we are doing. By doing this, we can have it all, just not every single day! I know you are going to shake your head yesss when you read this, but so often as women we try to do too much! So, it is no wonder why you are overwhelmed, you aren’t sitting down and focusing on one thing.
We don’t give ourselves time for a single task. We feel that is not enough. It is where our culture has really programmed us to think it’s not enough and that we have to move at this speed. So, you have to reprogram how we defined productivity for ourselves and what kind of quality of life we wanted to have.
How do you define PRODUCTION!!!
I always used to say how do you define success… When we define productivity, we can ask ourselves if we really want to do this. You can give yourself permission to say no!
Do I want to say yes to this, or do I want to say no to this? Is this serving me? Is this serving them? Do I still want to do this? And guess what… NO is a complete sentence!
Ladies, your anxiety can affect your health. High blood pressure, weight gain, insomnia, plus more! And it can go on for years. Because chronic stress is linked to a lot of things as we get older and will be a risk factor for most health problems. So if you feel like you may be living with High Functioning Anxiety, don’t think that you do not need help because it’s just not that bad.. Get help before it gets worse, or your health becomes affected by it. Get help before that slow burn turns into a complete burn out!
It is how you are choosing for life to be. You have to know where we are, and every day cannot be summer or everyday can’t be a high alert day. You will have days… So, think about those places where you identify and what you are choosing. What are you choosing? Are you choosing to continue with this life? Or are you going to choose for it to be different?
I want you to have your BEST LIFE!!
You can do different things and you can choose to do it differently in a way that is best for you!
If you are feeling like you can relate totally to this, reach out to Dr. Laura on socials and through her website! This is what she does, this is her jam, and she is amazing at what she does and I truly believe that she can help you!
What makes you feel magical??
When I’m able to sit down with someone and we can together just hone in on what’s bothering the most and be able to help them with that. This makes me feel magical every single time someone comes in and says, “Oh my god, I’m sleeping through the night again or my IBS is gone, or my anxiety is zero or I haven’t had a panic attack in a year!” I feel magical every time that I’m able to help someone with any of those things!
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/kimbarnesjeffersoncoach
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/fitgirlmagic/
Reboot and Refocus