I know I see a bunch of posts on Social Media that talks about â€œbadâ€ around setting rules. Trust I know about â€œbadâ€ rules. I lived in a box for so long that when I finally broke free
I lived in a prison cell for a long time. Letâ€™s be clear it was a prison of my own doing. I made SO many rules about my food and my workouts. I canâ€™t imagine I was much fun! For my friends who stuck by during this process thank you very much!!!
I get it thereâ€™s a profound freedom that comes from living by a set of rules that youâ€™ve chosen for yourself.. You simply follow your own rules and no one gains an ounce right, but are you really living are being â€œthat girlâ€ that no one wants to be around.
Now the rules I set for my life are around freeing up my time so that I donâ€™t feel so stress and have â€œhave tosâ€ in my life and more â€œget tosâ€
- Â Most of you know I’m a huge believer of bed times! My goal most night is to get a minimum of 8 hours of sleep.
- To keep my sanity I refrain from checking work related email before 10 AM or after 4 PM.
- I accept full personal responsibility for all outcomes in my life, both good and bad.
- To keep up with all the health and fitness stuff that comes out I make sure Iâ€™m reading a minimum of 30 minutes per day.
- Move at least 30 minutes every day. Not some crazy sweaty â€œbeast modeâ€ workout it can be something as simple as a walk.
- I meditate every night for 10 minutes before I go to sleep.
- Every night before I go to bed I write the three most important things I must do before I go to bed. This way I do get overwhelmed by having a to do list bigger than my arm.
And so on.
Follow these tips to develop your own guidelines:
1. Make a list of your most important goals.
2. What will make you happier and more successful.â€¨How do you waste time? What are your weaknesses?
3. What example do you want to set for your children? If you have children, what do you want them to see when they watch you? Theyâ€™re always watching, even if you think they arenâ€™t.
As I mentioned, my goal is to have as much freedom, and sure it seems like guidelines may hamper freedom. However, you free up a lot of mental resources when you make important decisions beforehand. Take the time to make your own set of guideline. The number doesnâ€™t matter. Start with a couple and add more as you see fit. Make some guidelines or yourself in order to set yourself free.
I’d love to hear your feedback!! Leave me a comment below.